A Possible Consequence Character in "Pretty Woman"

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Best-Selling Writer

A Possible Consequence Character in "Pretty Woman"

Postby Geoff1975 » Sep 21, 2012 7:08 am

Watching "Pretty Woman", I thought Vivian's fellow prostitute might be a good candidate for the consequence character, that figure who sometimes appears in the form of the worst-case scenario. She's ingrained into prostitution, something Vivian wants to get out of. Someone might say Freddy, Alan's hedonistic brother in "Splash", is in a similar role, but I don't think so. That world outlook is not necessarily what Alan must avoid. In "I Am Legend", I thought his dog becoming bitten by the vampires could be another consequence character, though not shown after her infection for very long.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: A Possible Consequence Character in "Pretty Woman"

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I agree that Kit De Luca, Vivian's roommate and fellow prostitute, is a good candidate for a Consequence Character.

On the other hand, I do not think that Robert Neville's German Shepard Sam (Samantha) represents a Consequence Character. I don't think the film has a Consequence Character, because the consequence would be instigated by giving up, and Sam is infected but not through apathy or going nuts.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”