Doctor-patient confidentiality as Preconditions

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.

Doctor-patient confidentiality as Preconditions

Postby Ville » Sep 17, 2012 9:03 am

I have this Main Character who's a physician. He tries to intervene in his patients' personal lives but can't violate their confidentiality. I felt this issue of doctor-patient-confidentiality played a part in the theme even before applying Dramatica.

Now Dramatica is giving me MC Critical Flaw of Preconditions. I've never quite understood what this issue entails - but reading the definition and trying hard to wrap my head around it, it could be what I'm after here, right? "Restrictions imposed on an effort"?

Graham
Published Writer

Re: Doctor-patient confidentiality as Preconditions

Postby Graham » Sep 20, 2012 1:43 pm

If this restriction interferes with him using his Unique Ability to achieve the Story Goal, then I think the answer is yes.

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Keep in mind that the critical flaw can be external, which you already have built in: The physician has a critical flaw of the precondition of patient confidentiality.

I asked a similar question a while back. My main character's critical flaw was Falsehood. I certainly didn't see him as a liar, but Chris then pointed out that Falsehood in this case could mean lies other people were telling about him, information he thought was correct that in fact wasn't, etc. The important point in that case was that the thing that most undermined him was "falsehood" of some kind or other.

Postby Ville » Sep 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks guys.

phillybudd wrote:Keep in mind that the critical flaw can be external, which you already have built in: The physician has a critical flaw of the precondition of patient confidentiality.

I asked a similar question a while back. My main character's critical flaw was Falsehood. I certainly didn't see him as a liar, but Chris then pointed out that Falsehood in this case could mean lies other people were telling about him, information he thought was correct that in fact wasn't, etc. The important point in that case was that the thing that most undermined him was "falsehood" of some kind or other.

I have to keep this in mind!

Return to “Practical Dramatica”