Consequence Character

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Consequence Character

Postby Geoff1975 » Sep 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Like several people, I can't find a specific spot where the shadow character would structurally fit. This is the character who's a representation of what the central character will face unless he succeeds. If there were a label for this, Consequence Character would be nice. That implies the OS is where to look for fitting this in. If several minds have put this type into their stories, I'd like to think there's some inspiration for it. It could be that the Main Character has Impact Character guiding MC one way and this other character showing the other way is not the proper course. But that would be Subjective Story.

Anyone notice this type associated not with the OS?

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Consequence Character

Postby Geoff1975 » Sep 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Perhaps this tends to show up in a certain kind of story or when a certain Class is prominent. Could that be why it doesn't show up more often?

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Sep 06, 2012 2:30 am

Given how you describe the "Shadow Character," it seems to me that it belongs more to the story-weaving or story-telling realms, rather than the story-forming (structural) realm. Your description fits almost exactly my Contagonist, who represents what the MC is in danger of becoming if he does not deal with his problems. (At least in Book 1 -- this is a trilogy.)

But I can imagine in certain genres this role of "shadow character" could also be fulfilled by the Impact Character. I think what I'm trying to say is that the throughline in which this character dwells is not really important to being able to fulfill that role.

Jeff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Sep 07, 2012 7:44 am

I believe there is a structural reason for the "Consequence Character" though I haven't quite figured out what it is. I've observed this character for a long time but have not recognized any consistency EXCEPT the function of showing what the Main Character is heading. I've seen it with change MCs and steadfast MCs. When I figure out how it is connected to the story structurally or dynamically, I'll let you all know.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”