Confused on Problem, Symptom, Catalyst , Benchmark

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
LLou
Writer

Confused on Problem, Symptom, Catalyst , Benchmark

Postby LLou » Jan 23, 2012 9:49 pm

I created a one page template based on the storyform analysis to watch movies with and help me analyze them with Dramatica. So I want to understand first, how to fill it out without booting up Dramatica.

After chosing a DOMAIN (throughline, class, genre), you fit the CONCERN (Plot, Type, Goal) from Type level, then select the ISSUE (theme, variation, range, inequity) from (?that domain's variation level? any Domain?) then under that select the PROBLEMxSOLUTION (x is shorthand for dynamic) from the element level.

Then is SYMPTOMxRESPONSE the companion, in the same DOMAIN, to the PROBLEMxSOLUTION on the big 3D chart?

What is the relationship between the CATALYSTxINHIBITOR (or UNIQUE ABILITYxCRITICAL FLAW) (companion to the ISSUE???)?

Is BENCHMARK always Dependent on the Concern? I thought I saw an analysis where it was Dynamic within the Domain.

I'm also really confused on how you figure out the additional plot points (Goal, consequence, cost, dividend, requirement, prerequisite, precondition, forewarning) prefereably without the software.

Also, in the Storyform analyses posted online there is a long list of vocabulary at the end of the analysis. I thought these were specifically how those concepts applied to that analysis but the words change in different analyses and sometimes the "definitions" are specific to the story and sometimes just general definitions. What are those words supposed to be for?

LLou
Writer

Re: Confused on Problem, Symptom, Catalyst , Benchmark

Postby LLou » Jan 28, 2012 6:17 am

I think I found the answer to some of my own questions in re-reading the book PDF again.

Once the domain and Approach (do-er/be-er) are decided on the domains for all 4 throughlines are set. Then (p175) the author can select one of the Concerns (Type) to be the main throughline to emphasize, which then makes that concern the goal of the story.

I'm guessing, but I can't figure out from the book for sure, if for each of the domains you can select ANY one of the 4 Types as a Concern? or does it have to be the conern in the same quadrant ( e.g. if the upper right Type is selected, do all the other concerns have to be upper right Type for all 3 other domains?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Confused on Problem, Symptom, Catalyst , Benchmark

Postby Chris Huntley » Feb 04, 2012 9:38 pm

All four Concerns are in the same quadrant of each domain.

The relationships between Unique Ability, Critical Flaw, Catalyst, and Inhibitors are complex and not easily reducible.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”