Quadrants

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Clint541963
Published Writer

Quadrants

Postby Clint541963 » Jan 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Theoretically, if the model were to be expanded so that the STATE quadrants and PROCESS quadrants were not automatically kitty-corner from one another but could be shifted by a thirteenth essential question, what would the question be to determine the quadrant positioning?
I don't know how to get pictures here like Buck but imagine that the Manner of Thinking quadrant and the Fixed Attitude flipping sides depending on the answer to this theoretical question.

Situation (External/State) ---------+------ Activity(External/Process)
Fixed Attitude (Internal/State) ----+------ Manner of Thinking (Internal/Process)

or

Situation (External/State) ------------------+------ Activity(External/Process)
Manner of Thinking (Internal/Process) ----+------- Fixed Attitude (Internal/State)
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Quadrants

Postby Chris Huntley » Jan 22, 2012 1:21 pm

It's not so much a 'thirteenth question' issue as the need for a context shift. The theory accounts for that, though you won't find it mentioned in the theory books (but maybe on Melanie's website).

The basis of the current structure is the dynamic pair -- the diagonal pairs as laid out in the quads. There are three other types of pairings: companion pairs (horizontal), dependent pairs (vertical), and components (collective vs. individual).

The current implementation of Dramatica is only one of four "Super classes," each super class based on the pairings. So what you've described would be the companion pair and dependent pair super classes.

The base line for the quads is what we call Knowledge (K). It is generally located in the upper left quadrant. The other three are Thought (T), Ability (A), and Desire (D). The default arrangement is:

K A
D T

So the four K-based super classes above represent, theoretically, only one fourth of the sixteen potential super classes.

Fortunately for us, the K-based super class used in the current version and works rather well.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Clint541963
Published Writer

Re: Quadrants

Postby Clint541963 » Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you for responding to this. My day job has me driving quite a bit and I have a lot of time to think. I was trying to imagine the STATES in a column and PROCESS in a column as INTERNAL and EXTERNAL are in separate rows. I wonder what culture that Storymind would belong to. Honestly, I don't know how you and Melonie were able to wrap your minds around this. Brilliant. Thank you for humoring my question.
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

Return to “Dramatica Theory”