Story Tendency and Reach

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
ktbyrd
Writer

Story Tendency and Reach

Postby ktbyrd » Apr 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Question:

I am looking now through the Story Query I have completed and see that:
Story Nature= Actual Dilemma
Story Essence= Positive Feel
Story Tendency= Willing
Story Reach=neither Men or Women will relate to my main character (a woman)

What does this mean? What can I do to make my story "more reachable" to my audience?

I would like at least some members of the audience to relate to my main character.

Thanks very much!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Story Tendency and Reach

Postby Chris Huntley » Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am

Audience Reach describes the LIKELINESS, or tendency, that a particular segment of your audience -- men or women -- will empathize with your Main Character (i.e. stand in the MC's shoes). If a segment is not likely to empathize with your MC, it will be more likely for it to sympathize with the MC (i.e. travel beside them).

This is not a "Save the Cat!", make the MC a likable character kind of thing. Reach describes how much the audience may share and understand the Main Character's personal perspective.

Here are the character and plot dynamics combinations for AUDIENCE REACH:

-- Linear/Male Problem Solving Style (Mental Sex) + Optionlock Story Limit = BOTH AUDIENCES

-- Linear/Male Problem Solving Style (Mental Sex) + Timelock Story Limit = MALE AUDIENCES

-- Holistic/Female Problem Solving Style (Mental Sex) + Optionlock Story Limit = FEMALE AUDIENCES

-- Holistic/Female Problem Solving Style (Mental Sex) + Timelock Story Limit = NEITHER MALE or FEMALE AUDIENCES
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

ktbyrd
Writer

Re: Story Tendency and Reach

Postby ktbyrd » Apr 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks, Chris!

Return to “Practical Dramatica”