Steadfast IC's Doubts

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Leonides02
Writer

Steadfast IC's Doubts

Postby Leonides02 » Feb 07, 2011 11:22 pm

I think I know the answer, but I'm interested in your thoughts:

Can a Steadfast Impact Character have doubts about her position? Perhaps even "lose the faith" for a time? Or does this go against her... um... Steadfast-iness?

I have a story in which the whole reason the main character Changes is because the impact character's Steadfast attitude is -- for a time -- abandoned. This effects the main character deeply, and so he Changes in response. The main character's Change fulfills her expectations and makes her Steadfast again.

Is that kosher?

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Steadfast IC's Doubts

Postby phillybudd » Feb 08, 2011 5:03 am

From the book:
Main Character Resolve describes the relationship between the MC and the IC. The impact of the IC is what forces the MC to even consider changing. If the MC eventually does change, it is the result of the IC's affect on the MC's perspective.

I remember that elsewhere in the book it also discusses what you're saying: that the Change Character can be very resistant to change, and the Steadfast Character can question if his steadfastness is justified.

All of which is to say, I think what you're doing sounds just fine! It will make the characters more interesting and complex -- more real.

Jeff

Leonides02
Writer

Postby Leonides02 » Feb 08, 2011 11:18 am

Cool, Jeff. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure.

I like the idea so much that I would do it anyway, but it's nice to know it still fits in with the Dramatica theory.

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Feb 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Sounds like a terrific idea in any case. I don't think it's the IC's steadfastness that necessarily moves the MC to change, anyway, it's the counter-argument, which the IC represents in the story (according the Dramatica theory any character can make the counter-argument, by the way, but it is the IC who represents or embodies it, structurally speaking).

In the story I'm working on, the IC's steadfastness turns out to be a hoax, which the MC only realizes at the climax of the MC and OS throughlines (which coincide), which is where the MC makes a huge "leap of faith". The MC changes, much to the horror of the IC.

The thing I believe is important in a case like this (at least in my case) is that the "hoaxness" ... "hoaxocity" ... "hoaxment" ... of the IC's steadfastness is foreshadowed once or twice earlier in the story, so that when it is revealed it doesn't come across as a deus-ex-machina moment to the reader.

In the situation you're describing, I'm not sure foreshadowing is necessary or even desirable. It could be a fantastic reversal moment.

Jeff

Leonides02
Writer

Postby Leonides02 » Feb 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I certainly hope it'll be! Basically, the IC has all this faith in the MC's destiny -- and then it all turns out to have been a lie to manipulate the IC into helping the antagonist. The IC is crushed. The whole time the MC has been saying it was baloney, so he ends up being proven right. But it's really bittersweet because he's come to care for the IC. So, he changes and decides he's going to believe in himself and make the destiny happen. And, of course, that's what he does.

Your idea sounds wonderfully complex, too. And I think your instinct to hint at the "hoaxocity" (that one's my favorite of the three :lol:) is a good one. If there's one thing the reader loves it's being fed hints of something that comes to pass at a critical point in the story.

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Feb 10, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks! But I've since decided it should be spelled "hoaxacity."

Return to “Dramatica Theory”