Playing A Role

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
VTFischwire
Published Writer

Playing A Role

Postby VTFischwire » May 12, 2008 4:15 am

I have a question about playing a role. It seems to me that playing a role is different than changing ones nature in that with playing a role one already has everything they need to succeed, and there is absolutely no adding or subtracting of elements needed.
If I am correct in this I am wondering about my story where playing a role is the OS concern. Everyone in the story needs to realize that they are already qualified to complete the Story Goal. I say they need to realize this because they all want to be something else or think that if they were this way or that way (if they changed their nature) they could succeed, but in reality they need to use the strengths and weaknesses already available in them to achieve the Story Goal.
I originally thought the OS Concern was Changing One's Nature because this is what everyone wrongly wants to do, rather than just be who they are.
I decided that Playing a Role was good, because the MC, IC, and Subjective Throughlines line up perfectly when I set Playing a Role as my OS Concern.

So finally the question:
Is Playing a Role what I am describing or is there a way to tweak this idea into the Playing a Role catagorey?

Finally I would like to say thanks to Chris for all the Dramatica AudioBook Podcasts. They have been a tremendous help.

-Vee

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Playing A Role

Postby Chris Huntley » May 12, 2008 9:50 am

Vee --

Your use of "Playing a Role" fits well within its definition. Another term could be "pretending." such as your characters are concerned that pretending to be qualified is insufficient or problematic, even though they truly have the qualifications. Perhaps the circumstances require them to pretend to know or be someone (or something) that makes them uncomfortable--such as Dave standing in for the president of the United States in the movie, DAVE. He clearly has skills sufficient for the position (as shown in the movie), but pretending to be the president is of great concern to him and the others involved in the impersonation.

And you are quite welcome for the Dramatica Audio Book podcasts. I'm glad you like them.

Cheers,
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

VTFischwire
Published Writer

Postby VTFischwire » May 21, 2008 4:42 am

Thanks for the fast reply.

My problem now is that I didn't put my ideas down on paper when I originally had them and now they have shifted in my mind to something different, (common writers mistake, I know).
Anyways it seems now like conceiving an idea might be the better way to go. But when I look at the other throughlines, I don't like too much the MC and IC concerns when I select it.
But to make this post short is there anyone who can give me examples of how the four manipulation (psychology) concerns work.

Playing a role as an OS concern means that everyone in the story is concerned with pretending to some degree or another.
What about the other three though. I seem to be having a hard time understanding their exact natures and how they differ.

-Vee

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » May 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Changing One's Nature--Everyone is concerned transforming themselves (or NOT transforming themselves) or transforming someone else. For example, transforming unmotivated Gen Y young adults into political activists.

Developing a Plan--Everyone is concerned with coming up with a plan (or NOT coming up with it) or concerned with plans someone else is working on. For example, developing a plan on how to get the Gen Y generation to vote in an upcoming election.

Conceiving an Idea--Everyone is concerned with coming up with an idea (or NOT coming up with an idea), or concerned with others coming up with an idea (or not). For example, trying to plant the idea that voting is a privilege worth fighting for in the Gen Y population.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”