do i use all 64 variations and 64 elements

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
jerryar
Writer

do i use all 64 variations and 64 elements

Postby jerryar » Nov 18, 2010 10:53 am

I am still trying to understand Dramatica. Do I have to use all 64 variations (ranges) and all 64 elements (problems) in a story? I'm talking about a novel or full screenplay. I don't see how you could get them all in a shrot story.

I'm new here, so bear with me, please.

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: do i use all 64 variations and 64 elements

Postby phillybudd » Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Hey,

no, you can't get them all into a short story. If you want to write a Grand Argument Story (as Dramatica calls it) you really are talking about a full-length novel or screenplay.

The book does have a section on how to encorporate the Dramatica idea into short stories.

jerryar
Writer

Postby jerryar » Nov 18, 2010 9:24 pm

jerryar wrote:I am still trying to understand Dramatica. Do I have to use all 64 variations (ranges) and all 64 elements (problems) in a story? I'm talking about a novel or full screenplay. I don't see how you could get them all in a shrot story.

I'm new here, so bear with me, please.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not writing a short story. I don't know why I even mentioned that.

I'm interested in a full screenplay and/or novel. Do you use all 64 variations and all 64 elements? :?:

It looks like you do, but I just want to know for sure.

Thanks for your patience. I'm really dumb about this! :oops:

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 20, 2010 4:59 am

In a perfect world, yes. In reality, not likely.

The elements often are covered because audiences assume archetypes unless the author specifies otherwise. Therefore, it is only the differences that need to be explored (beyond the basic natures of the archetypes) to get the message across.

With variations, the quad in each throughline with the Issue is the one to pay special attention to, though it is nice if you can explore the other Variations as well.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”