Edit Script Formatting Questions

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
drutgat
Published Writer

Edit Script Formatting Questions

Postby drutgat » Sep 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi,
I'm using MMS 2000, and I am editing/creating the 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format'.

I have copied and pasted the text from a .pdf of the format that was available on the BBC website, but when I pasted the text into MMS, it did not retain any of the formatting, and has therefore necessitated me editing the formatting information.

One of the aspects of the formatting that I am having trouble with is that the character names are capitalized, underlined and bolded in what looks like Arial, and they have a colon after the name.

Under the 'Character Name' tab (in 'Edit Script Formats') there are the options to bold, underline, and to change the font, but not to add colons (although, presumably because these are character names, the text is automatically capitalized).

I am also having problems with other aspects of creating/editing this new script format.

I have several questions about editing various aspects of the formatting:
1. Is there any way that I can incorporate a colon as part of the formatting to prevent me from having to type it each time?

2. Also, having saved the file as 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format', if I click 'Save as Defaults for All New Scripts', will this apply to all documents with the 'Screenwriter Scripts' extension, or will it only apply to all new documents created with the 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format' document name that I have chosen?

3. I have added a new extension to a User List (i.e., it appears in parentheses after the character name). How do I remove the bold coding from the extension, while leaving the character name bolded?

4. When I type a right bracket (i.e. a "(" ) in order to bring up the User List for the new extension I want to insert, the only way I can insert the extension (O.O.V.) is to scroll down to it in the user list and hit 'enter', i.e., while the existing extensions (V.O., O.S.)can be accessed by typing their initial letter, this one cannot. Is there any way of assigning it a letter?

Thanks for the help.

KenTech
Technical Support

Re: Edit Script Formatting Questions

Postby KenTech » Sep 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Do you have a link to an example of what it is supposed to look like? You can also post a reply with an attachment if you have a file example (PDF, Word, etc.).

In the User Lists, placing an ampersand (&) in front of a letter will cause that letter to be the hotkey on the pop-up menu.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

drutgat
Published Writer

Postby drutgat » Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi KenTech,
Thanks for the reply.

Here's a link to a script on the BBC website that is in the 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format' that I was talking about
http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/downloads/scripts/two_pints_03-10.pdf

Unfortunately, they seem to have taken down the 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format' .pdf that I downloaded and have printed out, but the formatting is exactly the same as the script in the link that I posted above.

As you'll see from the last page, the extension after the bolded character name is not itself bolded.

Can you give me some guidance about what the 'Save as Defaults for All New Scripts' actually does (my question 2. above).

Thanks.

KenTech
Technical Support

Postby KenTech » Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am

I'll have to see if I can get Screenwriter to duplicate that format. It may not be able to handle something like that.

Save As Default... takes the format of the currently open document and would use that format any time you went to File > New to create a new document.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

drutgat
Published Writer

Postby drutgat » Oct 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi KenTech,
I have actually now set up a template for the 'BBC Taped Sitcom Format' in MMS 2000.

The only aspects of the format that I haven't been able to duplicate/emulate are the ones mentioned in my initial message (i.e., including a colon automatically after the character name; preventing the bracketed extension from being bolded after the character name), and another one that doesn't seem to be that crucial, but is nevertheless included (i.e., there seems to be a single space between Scene Heading and the capitalized text used in Scene Action, but a double-space between Dialogue and the Scene Action text).

If you are interested, I can upload the format I have created - is there some way of attaching a file here or of sending it to you?

KenTech
Technical Support

Postby KenTech » Oct 05, 2010 9:20 am

Feel free to upload it here. When you reply on this thread, scroll down to the bottom and there is an "Upload Attachment" tab where you can select the file you created.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is a way to keep the character extension from being bold.

As far as the in-dialogue Action, you would probably have to cheat (F3 or Format > Cheat > Element) the Parenthetical element to match that since there isn't a separate element to use there.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

Return to “Using Screenwriter”