Impact Character as Protagonist?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
grgwrzbcki

Impact Character as Protagonist?

Postby grgwrzbcki » May 14, 2008 10:23 am

I'm toying with the notion of giving the Impact Character the Protagonist function. What are some of the general challenges/difficulties/opportunities this arrangement could create for me as I write the story? Are there any well-known examples of stories where the IC is the protagonist?

Thanks.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Impact Character as Protagonist?

Postby Chris Huntley » May 14, 2008 3:45 pm

I sent this infomation to you privately but I'll post it here too since you asked in this forum.

I don't think there are any inherent advantages or disadvantages having the Impact Character the protagonist, but here are some thoughts:

-- It is unusual to have the IC the protagonist which can be good if you are trying to break away from the norm.

-- There might be some slight confusion between who is the MC and who is the IC because of the extra story time the IC has in its role as protagonist. This is one of the reasons the MC is often also the protagonist. You need to work a little harder to make sure your audience knows who the MC and IC are. This is even more true if the IC is a Change character (with the MC a Steadfast character).

-- Here are two examples I can think of: "All About Eve" where Margo is the MC, Eve is the IC, and Eve is the protagonist in trying to become a star in the theater; "Body Heat" where Ned is the MC, Mattie is the IC, and Mattie is the mastermind behind her husband's murder to inherit his wealth.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

grgwrzbcki

Re: Impact Character as Protagonist?

Postby grgwrzbcki » May 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks, Chris. This is very helpful. :D

Return to “Practical Dramatica”