Can the MAIN CHARACTER also be...

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Racecarrobb

Can the MAIN CHARACTER also be...

Postby Racecarrobb » May 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Since I'm new to Dramatica I'm using the archetypes, at least for the time being.
One of my Main Character's most prominent attributes is she is an hard agnostic and skeptic.

Since the MC is a DRIVER and the SKEPTIC is a PASSENGER can I assign the role of the skeptic
to my MC without obscuring the dramatic functions?

It's one less player in the 8 archetype cannon.... is this going to be an issue for me later down the road?

Graham
Published Writer

Re: Can the MAIN CHARACTER also be...

Postby Graham » May 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes, you can safely assign the role of the SKEPTIC to the MC. In fact, if you are using archetypes, you must assign at least one archetype to the MC. The MC must have a role to play in the overall story.

You're probably thinking of the PROTAGONIST when you say she is a driver and not a passenger. "Driver" and "Passenger" only apply to objective characters. The MC is a subjective character in your story and can be assigned any of the objective character archetypes or character elements. The MC does not have to be the PROTAGONIST (although it is common in many stories). All of this also applies to the other subjective character, the IC.

So, assigning objective character archetypes to the MC and IC does not cause you to have fewer than the 8 archetypes. You will still have all 8, and 2 of the 8 will be assigned to the MC and IC respectively.

Racecarrobb

Postby Racecarrobb » May 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks Graham for your reply.

There is a lot to learn-- for sure.

I left out a crucial bit of information when I posted my question---- My MC is assigned the archetype of Protagonist and what my question should have asked is this: can she hold the place card of both Protagonist AND Skeptic at the same time?

Clearly, a lot more has to soak in!

Thanks for your time.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » May 18, 2010 8:40 am

Yes, you can have the player that is the MC also be a combined protagonist and skeptic. That would make the character a complex character.

It is important to note whether it is your MC that is skeptical, or if it is his role in the Overall Story in which he is skeptical. What I mean is, the Main Character deals with his personal issues and part of those issues may be that he is skeptical (such as Frank Galvin in The Verdict). The same player's role in the Overall Story may be any of the archetypes or complex characters. The most common usage is to combine the perspective of the MC with the function of the protagonist, but you may combine it with any of the objective characters or characteristics.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more.

Cheers,
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Racecarrobb

Postby Racecarrobb » May 18, 2010 9:22 am

No, it doesn't confuse me more... it's very helpful. Thank you.

It only makes sense in my story that the MC hold the attributes of the skeptic--- She doubts her sister's abilities, doubts the religious beliefs of both the IC and the Antagonist,
calls into questions the motives of a politician and is never really sure she can pull off everything she needs to pull off. From reading the manual and listening to the podcasts it seemed if I added another character as a skeptic, I'd be doubling up on similar traits and characteristics thereby lessening the argument of my story. I think from your answer my instinct was right, I just wasn't sure.

From a strictly mechanical aspect, is it a difficult task to switch characters from archetypes to complex characters? Can you direct me to an older post that could lead me through the process? What I'm concerned about is it changing everything that I've inputed into the system up to now-- but of course if that is what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

or is it as simple as dragging my Protagonist icon onto each skeptic icon in the build characters window?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”