MMS for Novels

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
ChrisHarvey
Writer

MMS for Novels

Postby ChrisHarvey » Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi,

As a screenwriter, novelist, short story writer and comic book writer, I've just returned to the brand new version of MMS6 after a few years away using other screenwriting software (that is now obsolete by the looks of things), and am loving it. I downloaded just after Xmas and am also awaiting delivery of my bonus physical disc and "bonus" goodies from Screenstyle (I live in the UK)...

But I digress...

Just a single question for now re the "NOVEL" format... is it possible to have the just first line of a chapter NOT indent the 5 spaces. I seem to remember way back when I had ScriptThing on my old computer that there was a way to do this (or maybe I'm mistaken) but I can't fathom for the life of me how to do it. If this isn't possible at the moment, no big deal, but perhaps a feature to think about for future updates, eh??

Thanks for a first class POWERHOUSE of a program in MMS6 - FAR FAR FAR superior to the overrated Final Draft...!!

Chris

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: MMS for Novels

Postby Chris Huntley » Jan 16, 2009 9:47 am

Go to Format > Element Styles... and click on the Action or Novel Text button. At the bottom you'll see the first line indent control. Reduce that to "0" to remove the first line indent. Write Brothers Tech Support informs me that it still PRINTS with the indent if you're on a PC, but prints without the indent if you're on a Mac.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

ChrisHarvey
Writer

Postby ChrisHarvey » Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am

Chris, thanks for that, but unless I'm missing something, my Windows version doesn't have a FIRST line indent option in ELEMENTS, just a GENERAL indent that changes EVERY paragraph. AM I missing something??

However, since posting, I discovered how to do local cheating of individual paragraphs (further backed up by a response from Tech Support) thus: click so the caret is blinking anywhere within the first paragraph. Then, click Format > Cheat Element (F3) and choose to override the indent. Click OK

HOWEVER, although this does indeed work on screen, the indent is still presesnt in PRINT PREVIEW and indeed the PRINT OUT itself.

I have since been advised by Tech Support that this is a bug in version 6 which will be addressed in the future.

No big deal, but it would be nice to be able to do it.

Chris

P.S. Apart from that, I'm quite a happy man today as my bonus pack finally arrived from ScreenStyle - physical copy of MMS6, books, CDs, software, etc. :D

ChrisHarvey
Writer

Postby ChrisHarvey » Jan 16, 2009 10:08 am

P.P.S.

JUST this second fathomed a way aound it: simply customise SHOT to the exact same format as NOVEL TEXT - margins, font, spacing - and use SHOT for the first line of a chapter or scene for ZERO indent!

VOILA!!!

Will do nicely until the bug is sorted!! :D

Chris

stephenbuck415
Best-Selling Writer

Postby stephenbuck415 » Aug 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Greetings.

I am using the Novel template.

To create a new page (using the PC), I press CTRL+ENTER, but a dialogue window appears asking me to select one of the following:
  • Forced Page Break (Act Break)
  • Locked Page Break (Normal Numbering)
  • Fixed A-Page (A-Page Numbering)
  • Multi-Locked Page Break

What are the definitions of these page breaks?

What is the best page break for me to use when writing a single novel?

What is the best page break for me to use when writing a trilogy?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dramatica E-Mail Discussion List:
https://buckspub.com/mailman/listinfo/dramatica_buckspub.com

Return to “Using Screenwriter”