Destiny and Fate

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
yellowsub
Writer

Destiny and Fate

Postby yellowsub » Aug 31, 2008 6:13 pm

After thinking I understood this... I'm thinking again!

I need illustrations... please, thank you :)

Destiny is the OS Issue and I wrote this:
The people at The Palace believe that as one the 'Chosen', they have rights to a privileged life. But they are Sheep for the circling Wolves (Drug Lord, Arnold, Pressure Groups etc...

I thought being one of the 'Chosen' was their destiny. But then I thought that this wasn't the source of the 'Tension' in the story. It is the missing money that has everyone hopping. The missing money is what makes them the 'Sheep' for the Wolves. So what is their Destiny? The current Destiny is avoidable... if they raise the money and get their act together. (DEFINITION: Destiny: the future path an individual MUST take.)

Then what is Fate?
What I have currently:
Given such a strong belief in being the 'Chosen', the Palace people belittle the importance of dealing appropriately with their Fate (having to leave their 'Paradise' or even worse, being enslaved in service of 'Paradise').

yellowsub
Writer

Re: Destiny and Fate

Postby yellowsub » Sep 07, 2008 4:37 am

More pondering...

I have a character in the OS who is anorexic

When I working through how the thematic issue of Destiny affects him...

I might come up with:

His destiny is loss of wellbeing

His fate would be that he might die

Comments???

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Sep 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Dramatica's use of the terms Fate and Destiny are specific.

Destiny is "the future path an individual must take" and can be seen as a direction.

Fate is "a future situation that will befall an individual."

The difference is that Desiting describes the end point, while Fate describes points along the way to reaching one's Destiny.

Your examples would be easier to respond to if they were declarative rather than suggesting possibilities. Anything is possible, but once you make it specific it is easier to evaluate. So, you could say that your character's fate is to be ill or infirm, but Fate may be responsibe for your character coming into contact with tainted spinach, or being on a plane with a Cholera victim, etc. Fate may take your character many places but they will always lead to the character's Destiny.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

yellowsub
Writer

Postby yellowsub » Sep 28, 2008 12:02 am

I see -- the Destiny of the people at the Palace is that they have to give up their dream of living their ideal life and their fate would be that they are harrassed by the Drug Lord, manipulated by the clone Arnold, and beset by natural disasters like lightening and earthquakes...

Thank you for taking the time!

Return to “Practical Dramatica”