manipulation

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
dono
Writer

manipulation

Postby dono » Jul 31, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey, Chris, or whoever can answer my question!

I have just gotten to the illustrating part of my story development, and the report so far looks just about like what i had in mind before I started, which is a sign, I think, that I am on the right track. The only hiccup for me--and I am sure I can work it out--is that my impact character's throughline is manipulation, which confuses me a bit. He is not a "manipulative" person, per se, but is definitely, literally, being manipulated. Does this fit in with the way the mapping works, or should he, technically, be doing some manipulating himself? If it is just about a way of thinking and not, in every case, directly manipulating someone, can it just be that he is dealing with ways of thinking about the main subject, and that is his role in the throughline?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

--dono

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: manipulation

Postby Chris Huntley » Aug 01, 2008 8:22 am

Being manipulated is OK. Each story point can describe an attibute of the character(s) or describe something attibuted to (or acted on) the character(s). So, you are dead on with your character being manipulated.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

dojo

Re: manipulation

Postby dojo » Aug 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Thank you, Chris. I am finding your program to be intuitive and inspiring. I have learned a lot about writing and story construction working through it. There were many aspects to story that I sensed but had limited means of articulation for. Now I feel more "grounded" as a writer. Really, though, I feel like I can let the theory do a lot of the "grounding" while my head flies around in the clouds of imagination!

Thanks again.

--Dono

Return to “Practical Dramatica”