Query

So you thought filling the blank pages was tough? Now you're ready to make your first million! So how are you going to do it? Give advice on pitching, creating a log line, contacting agents and producers, and more.
cinemascribe

Query

Postby cinemascribe » May 18, 2008 1:04 pm

So I have now written 3 screenplays and they are awesome! Of course....

I have done query postcards, letters and brochures (what can i say, i am also a graphic designer and marketing director by day) so what is the RIGHT way to get your script read by the right people?

how has it been done and are there any success stories out there? 8)

dialoquese

Re: Query

Postby dialoquese » Sep 16, 2008 12:51 pm

'Looks like everybody's to busy to call home.

pbchrist
Writer

Postby pbchrist » Sep 30, 2008 1:15 am

I used to work at a studio. Query letters don't do shi--. If by some accident some intern is too dumb to toss it, said intern will read it, and more often than not, they'll dismiss it out of hand because it's more work to write up an explanation of why it's good. Or, they don't have the cojones to bring it to the assistant/exec they work for. Studios don't accept unsolicited submissions because they're jerks, it's because they don't have time. When I worked at XXX studio, I took home 10-12 scripts a week.

If you are dead serious about screenwriting, you should move to LA, get access to the UTA job board (not hard), and take a job as an intern at a development arm of a studio. I know, you're probably overqualified, aged 30-50, etc... but interns are there in all shapes and sizes, and they have a common goal, which is to either sell a script or work at a studio. Many studio execs are failed writers. Anyway, if you can't uproot your life, try to come out here for a month, and hang out where assistant-types/low level execs hang out (the well, the bronson bar, magnolia, les deux) and charm and meet people, maybe organically bring up your logline in a conversation. That's what I would do.

Lighthope
Writer

Postby Lighthope » Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am

Actually, with the cost of equipment and editing software, you may have a better shot at making the film yourself than tying to get a studio to buy your script.

Juts go to any college and go to their drama department. Lots of free labour there. Juts feed 'em. Then go to Visual Arts and get yourself a director and probably an video editor. They'll do it to get the line on the resume.

As long as your script isn't overly ambitious, you can get your screenplay done for some change and at least get a shot at Cannes. The odds are much better than trying to get a studio to option it.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Commandment VIII: You shall not steal.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
--== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
--== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Return to “Breaking In”