Day or Night?

So now you have an outline. Where do you go from here? Discuss getting past FADE IN:.
Kippy
Writer

Day or Night?

Postby Kippy » Oct 06, 2011 7:12 am

Film only registers "Night" and "Day", which makes sense when you think about it. On camera, Sunset can't be distinguished from Sunrise. Only the sound effect of a rooster would give any inclination.

But I'm finding it an issue when parts of story unfold between the wee hours of "day light" and "darkness". For example, I have scene that takes place in the early morning (before actual sunrise). There's some light, but not enough to qualify the scene as "Day". So what should I do? Opinions on how that slugline should look?

I was thinking...

EXT. FORREST - NIGHT

Just before dawn. A waning moon is pinned to the pale sky...

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Day or Night?

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 06, 2011 8:47 am

Your example is spot on.

You CAN use MORNING, DAWN, DUSK, LATE AFTERNOON, etc., though is generally preferred if you use Day or Night and then clarify/specify the particulars in the scene description like you did in your example.

The point of making the day/night designation is for production purposes. In your example, night is appropriate because the cast and crew would have to be setting up and shooting for hours before the sun rises if they are on location, or in the dark on a sound stage.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Havel
Writer

Re: Day or Night?

Postby Havel » Jan 02, 2012 7:57 am

It's just shorthand for effective communication.

You can modify to suit purpose. For example, INT. NIGHT 2AM vs INT. NIGHT 4AM

The important thing is that the message gets across succinctly.

Return to “The Writing Process”