Voice Over Help (V.O.)

So now you have an outline. Where do you go from here? Discuss getting past FADE IN:.
Kippy
Writer

Voice Over Help (V.O.)

Postby Kippy » Sep 21, 2011 7:50 am

In the first few pages of my script, I plan to have a character speak as "V.O.". It won't be the main principle, but certainly a notable character from the story. The V.O. will basically be narration, setting the tone with a few, simple statements laced into the opening scenes.

Here's my question: My character's name is John. But the character isn’t actually introduced until later (page 11). So, should I label the "V.O". as "NARRATOR" or "JOHN"? How would you write that?

Thanks!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Voice Over Help (V.O.)

Postby Chris Huntley » Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am

If it is important to keep John's identity hidden, then use Narrator. However, it is clearer if you use John from the start.

An alternative is to use "John's Voice", which implies voice over AND identifies who is saying it. Here is an example from the beginning of "It's A Wonderful Life."

Code: Select all

FADE IN - NIGHT SEQUENCE

SERIES OF SHOTS of various streets and buildings in the town of Bedford Falls, somewhere in New York State.  The streets are deserted, and snow is falling.  It is Christmas Eve.  Over the above scenes we hear voices praying:

GOWER'S VOICE
        I owe everything to George Bailey.  Help him dear father.

MARTINI'S VOICE
        Joseph, Jesus and Mary.  Help my friend Mr. Bailey.

MRS. BAILEY'S VOICE
        Help my son George tonight.

BERT'S VOICE
        He never thinks about himself, God, that's why
        he's in trouble.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “The Writing Process”