A FLASHBACK TO TELL MY STORY?

So now you have an outline. Where do you go from here? Discuss getting past FADE IN:.
Kippy
Writer

A FLASHBACK TO TELL MY STORY?

Postby Kippy » Sep 11, 2011 9:49 am

Some guidance please...Anyone know of other screenplays that use the same type of storyline as "Forrest Gump"? I'm drawing a blank..

By same "type", I mean a story that begins in the past (which is my starting point, or "current day") and transitions to another point further in the past. The story begins toward the end, but we're "flashbacked" by our main character as he tells of how he "got to this current point". Does that make sense?

Here's my specific issue:

EXT. COLLESIUM OF ROME - DAY (AD 98)

Action blah, blah,

CHARACTER
dialog

EXT. GARDEN - DAY (AD 90)

Any help is appreciated. At least that's what I came up with. Fairly unique, so not many sripts to review...THANKS!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: A FLASHBACK TO TELL MY STORY?

Postby Chris Huntley » Sep 13, 2011 8:45 am

"Remains of the Day" and "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" do this. So does "Little Big Man" and "Hearts in Atlantis.," and "Stand by Me," though I think "Remains of the Day" is closest to what you are talking about.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Havel
Writer

Postby Havel » Jan 02, 2012 8:07 am

What you're doing is creating a narrator who will then lead you onto a journey into a New World and the change which will occur within (see Kal Bashir's fabulous work).

The narrator may be the hero himself (Forrest Gump) or another (the Stranger in The Big Lebowski).

The narrator also breaks up the story into sections (we keep returning to Forrest on the bench). Though not narrators, the same process is seen in When Harry Met Sally when we keep returning to the old couples.

Robb6669
Writer

Postby Robb6669 » Jan 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I agree with Havel you need something that ties the characters together and tells the audience where they are and when they are. Flashbacks can be confusing if you don't give the audience important that tells them when they are in time. A good way to avoid this is by writing the story backwards so that you get the timeline correct. Or write out your backstory and write in detail the times that you want to use as flashbacks so that you can have in detail that is suppose be happening or have happened in order to keep the characters faithful to the timeline.

It is all about the timeline with flashbacks.

Rob Bettencourt
Get your FREE report how to become a Hollywood screenwriter at
http://www.simplescreenwritingtechniques.com

Return to “The Writing Process”