children's stories

Read or revive posts that have been copied over from the old message board.
Chris Huntley
Site Admin

children's stories

Postby Chris Huntley » May 30, 2008 11:23 am

deltadeliquent -- children's stories

I am thinking aof purchasing Dramatica pro for writing children's stories. I understand that D.Pro is meant for adult stories. Has anyone tried to write a children's story with it? It is just too much imformation? Is there a way to trim it down to make it usable for kids? I am mostly thinking about writing for teenagers but have some younger age stories to tell too.
Thanks.

Chris Huntley Re: children's stories #1

Teenagers are certainly appropriate for the sophistication of Dramatica stories especially when you consider how many pre-teens have devoured the Harry Potter novels. Don't sell them short.

Dramatica can be used for grade school stories if you treat them like short stories (limited breadth) OR limit the depth of the story's exploration. You won't need the many of the tools in the Dramatica software, but the StoryGuide Level 1 covers most of the children's story elements you need.

The biggest difference between children's stories and grand argument (Dramatica) stories is in the storytelling. You can tell a grand argument story simply and in simple language. However, some writer's prefer simple tales ("This happend, then this happened, then this happened, and this is where it all ended up.") to stories ("With things set up this way, this is how everything went and the naturally leads to this one and only conclusion.").

The biggest difference between tales and stories is how their "message" is created. In a tale, the meaning of the story comes from comparing the starting point with the ending point. Change either the starting point or ending point and the message changes. In a (grand argument) story, the meaning is built into every piece of the story. Leave a piece out and the story still has the same meaning (though a "hole" might be noticed). A tale makes a statement: This leads to that. A story makes an argument: When these things come together they naturally come to this inevitable conclusion.

Hope this helps.

Chris Huntley
Write Brothers

deltadeliquent children's stories #2

Thanks for the advice. I am busy plowing through the materials that are freely offered online. I can see where D Pro would work for teens. Would the scaled down version work better? Or would I be limiting myself in case I wanted to go further into adult fiction?
Thanks

Chris Huntley Re: children's stories #3

My guess Writer's DreamKit (the streamlined version) would be fine for children's books and s an introduction to Dramatica. Dramatica Pro has everything in the Writer's DreamKit and is file compatible. You could start with one and "powergrade" to the other if you'd like.

My suggestion is to download the Dramatica Pro demo. The Writer's DreamKit only has Level One of the StoryGuide, plus a pared down version of the Story Engine, the Build Characters window, and the Reports. Many of the other features are unique to Dramatica Pro.

Have fun!

Chris Huntley
Write Brothers
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Classics from the Archives”