Personal Writing Breakthrough Experience

Come here to talk about any old thing. If it doesn't relate to writing, sit back, put your feet up, order a virtual pint! If you are new to our forums, come here to introduce yourself and learn a little about the rest of us as well.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Personal Writing Breakthrough Experience

Postby Geoff1975 » Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi, I just wanted to mention what many writers probably encounter. The story I've been developing began inspired by a movie. The movie had several different plot threads or characters moving with their own goals. I wasn't sure whether it was too scattered. After studying Dramatica in depth, I focused on one particular character's plot line, so that the whole OS plot wouldn't feel scattered. Therefore, I reserved the other half of the story for a sequel. However, I still wanted to keep that sense of screwball-ness that the earlier inspiring movie had.

It was when I found how the OS characters often each have their own concerns that I felt safer to go back now and put that other half back in as the main OS... this and the fact that, as much as I could stretch a supernatural element, I couldn't make a whole movie plot out of it and still remain true to its myth. In other words, I didn't want to change around what people have basically accepted about that supernatural element.

The parts of my earlier story I reserved for the sequel were so much more entertaining, too. I guess a storyform is so fixed, when you cut half of it out, you really notice its absence.

Return to “The Pub”