Hi! Please like me!

Come here to talk about any old thing. If it doesn't relate to writing, sit back, put your feet up, order a virtual pint! If you are new to our forums, come here to introduce yourself and learn a little about the rest of us as well.
AlabasterCole
Writer

Hi! Please like me!

Postby AlabasterCole » Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm an aspiring writer who's been published only as a reviewer in music tabloids and that big 'American Poetry' book where you pay to get your Poem published in it. I was a Technical Writer for years, which might explain a lot. I also RULE a few online Forums, already, so I have no real designs on ruling this one, per se . . .

I've had a very unique life, kind of like the guy on 'Into the Wild' (without the starving to death part,) and five years ago I decided becoming a Screenwriter was the best way to share some of the stories I've be in or near.

At that time, I didn't even know the word 'structure' as it pertained to storytelling. So, I went on a quest to understand story structure. Lew Hunter turned me on to Egri, Aristotle, Joseph Campbell and The Brothers Grimm. I suffered small setbacks in the form of Twain and Poe. I copied down John Truby's 22 Steps. Shakespeare made me dizzy. And then I found Dramatica.

I'm a Dramatica Fanatic, now, and believe the authors should be awarded a Nobel Prize. I don't blow smoke - I just think it's THAT great. Armando Saldana-Mora is also a Saint, in my opinion.

So, armed with all this stuff, I proceded to make the most complicated Dramatica model I could possibly construct (wherein every character is complex, part 'dark' and part 'light,' and every sequence runs counterintuitively backwards,) and I've been losing sleep trying to figure out the story it's telling, by degrees for a couple years. When it's done, it will be brilliant, but it just might take me until I'm eighty.

I was telling one of my buddies about Dramatica - ranting about it, really - and he has now in turn told me about this Forum. I'm glad to be here, and let me apologize in advance for my long-a** posts. I have a mental condition, though it's of the harmless variety.

Cheers!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Hi! Please like me!

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Cool. Welcome aboard.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

AlabasterCole
Writer

Postby AlabasterCole » Oct 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks so much, Mr. Huntley!

Let me just say Dramatica rocks in about 32,000 different ways! It's BY FAR the superior concept for story structure. I sometimes sit and wonder what Twain or Poe or Rod Serling or Shakespeare would have created with the help of Dramatica.

I also SEE Dramatica at work in a LOT of movies that come out.

You probably get tired of hearing it, but my highest compliments and sincerest gratitude for what you've created.

RosswellCarew

Postby RosswellCarew » Oct 26, 2010 5:31 pm

:D

I think Rod Serling had Dramatica 1.0 naturally in his brain.

AlabasterCole
Writer

Postby AlabasterCole » Oct 29, 2010 12:12 am

Hi, Rosswell!

Amen to that, dude. Serling was brilliant. A friend called him the Edgar Allen Poe of our times, and I think that's pretty right. I invested in 'The Twilight Zone Definitive Collection.' It has hours of college lectures by Serling ABOUT 'The Twilight Zone.' Great, great stuff!

Return to “The Pub”