More Flexibility with Extensions

Do you have suggestions for Movie Magic Screenwriter? What features would you like to see added or changed?
drutgat
Published Writer

More Flexibility with Extensions

Postby drutgat » Sep 29, 2010 4:28 pm

My suggestions for MMS 7 relate to several problems that I have had with extensions in MMS 2000 (perhaps these problems do not exist in MMS 6).

1. Suggestion: Include the ability for the user to assign a particular key to activate/represent an extension, i.e., for the user to be able to assign this manually.

Example: the problem I have been experiencing happens when two extensions share the same first letter. The examples I have been dealing with are 'O.S.' and 'O.O.V.' (the latter is an extension sometimes used in the U.K., which represents 'Out Of View').

When I type a right bracket (i.e. a "(" ) in order to bring up the User List for the new extension I want to insert, the only way I can insert the extension (O.O.V.) is to scroll down to it in the user list and hit 'enter' because - 'O.O.V.' appears in the User List because I have used it previously in my screenplay).

If I type the letter' 'O', then 'O.S.' is the extension that is automatically inserted in the text.

So, I would like to be able to assign a letter, or symbol or number to represent 'O.O.V.', so that it is automatically inserted in the text in the way that 'O.S.' is inserted when I type the letter 'O'.

I hope that this is clear.

2. Suggestion: Create the ability for the user to be able to assign a formatting choice (e.g., bold) to the extension which is different from the formatting assigned to the character name that the extension follows.

Example: again, an example from a British T.V. sitcom format: the character name is bolded, but when an extension is used, the extension is not bolded

3. Suggestion: Create the ability for the user to control/add punctuation after a character name.
Example: Once again, the U.K. sitcom format that I have been using adds a colon after the bolded character name; I do not think that MMS currently has the flexibility to add punctuation marks (or any other symbols) after a character name.

I realize that all one has to do is to add a colon after the character name the first time that one uses the name, but one still has to remember to do that every time one introduces a new character. It would be nice to have a 'BBC Taped Sitcom' format that included this, and to have the ability to control MMS 7 at this level under one of the 'Edit Script Formats' windows.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: More Flexibility with Extensions

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 01, 2010 10:11 am

1. This can already be done by going into Format > User Lists... You can create your own user list AND assign a single key alias to bring it up quickly.

2 & 3 cannot be done, but are duly noted.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

drutgat
Published Writer

Postby drutgat » Oct 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Chris Huntley wrote:1. This can already be done by going into Format > User Lists... You can create your own user list AND assign a single key alias to bring it up quickly.

2 & 3 cannot be done, but are duly noted.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the response, Chris.

darla

Postby darla » Sep 29, 2014 10:30 pm

The NaviDoc can be sized larger and smaller by dragging the vertical splitter separating the NaviDoc and the the document window.

Though there isn't ONE button to do it, there are controls that let you set the font size of the NaviDoc text, as well as the number of lines per element shown. The controls are the sliders in the upper right corner of the NaviDoc.

darla

Postby darla » Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm

darla wrote:The NaviDoc can be sized larger and smaller by dragging the vertical splitter separating the NaviDoc and the the document window.

Though there isn't ONE button to do it, there are controls that let you set the font size of the NaviDoc text, as well as the number of lines per element shown. The controls are the sliders in the upper right corner of the NaviDoc.

Return to “Screenwriter Wishlist”