Significance Of Different StoryGuide Levels

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
dhanoka

Significance Of Different StoryGuide Levels

Postby dhanoka » Jul 01, 2008 2:34 pm

What is the significance of the StoryGuide Levels 1, 2, & 3? I am almost finished doing the Level 1 Impact Character Illustrations for "Maybe December," and am pondering whether or not I should go on to Levels 2 and 3 to illustrate further. Are there any advantages to completing all three StoryGuide levels, other than a more in-depth understanding of the Dramatica story development process?

Debby Hanoka

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Significance Of Different StoryGuide Levels

Postby Chris Huntley » Jul 01, 2008 5:27 pm

The three levels cover the same territory to varying degrees of depth.

I see them used in two different ways.

The first way is to pick the depth you want to develop your story and use that level. Level 1 is the "shallowest" and Level 3 is the "deepest." I put those in quotes because even the shallowest Dramatica set of questions can be a zinger.

The second way is to start with Level 1, go through it in its entirety. Then do Level 2 (or skip ahead to Level 3) to expand on what you have already developed. Lastly, use Level 3 to develop the story even more thoroughly.

How you use the StoryGuide is completely dependent on how you work as a writer and your familiarity with your story and Dramatica. Please keep in mind that it is still just the StoryGuide which is designed to handhold you through the story development process. Even the StoryGuide Level 3 does not cover everything Dramatica has to offer about your story (e.g. Benchmarks, Catalysts, Inhibitors, etc.).
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”