Plot Progression for the M/I Throughline

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
yellowsub
Writer

Plot Progression for the M/I Throughline

Postby yellowsub » Jun 27, 2008 2:44 am

The M/I Throughline starts with Memories and end with Contemplation.

I can understand how the relationship between MC and IC could be marred by memories. I could imagine how they could at loggerheads because the innermost desire of one could be different to the other. I can see how their frustration could give rise to impulsive responses. But how does it end in contemplation? I can sort of imagine it but not satisfactorily.

Suppose their history is marked by the fact that the MC was not there for the IC when she was attacked outside a nightclub. Suppose the innermost desire of the MC is for human connection while the IC is concerned with making do with her situation (her Concern is Situation). When it comes to the Impulsive Responses part... there will have been a handover to the Antagonist as IC so the Antagonist is encouraging the MC to trust that whatever action taken is right action when faced by obstacles (Impulsive Responses).

Then Contemplation could be...??? (the Antagonist in this story is the Protagonist's wife who has become the goddess of death)

Question 2: The IC is the change character so I'm also trying to figure out how a deity could change in such a way that the characters in the OS are impacted by the change...

Are my questions clear?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Plot Progression for the M/I Throughline

Postby Chris Huntley » Jul 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Contemplations can be a source of conflict in the relationship in many ways. For instance, not thinking about the other party in the relationship, being inconsiderate -- a lack of considerations. Or, spending too much time in discussions and not doing.

The change by the IC is not connected to the OS directly, but certainly a deity changing could easily affect mere mortals. Where a deity might normally not allow something to happen, might let it slide if they are now in a different place personally.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

yellowsub
Writer

Postby yellowsub » Jul 04, 2008 12:56 am

Oh I like this. I like these clarifications!

yellowsub
Writer

Postby yellowsub » Jul 04, 2008 1:05 am

The change by the IC is not connected to the OS directly

I recall in my earlier reading that if the IC changes and the MC is steadfast, there is a worldwide impact.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Aug 01, 2008 8:17 am

I recall in my earlier reading that if the IC changes and the MC is steadfast, there is a worldwide impact.

The matter of character RESOLVE is personal, not worldwide, though its rammifications are generally broad.

At some level, everything affects everything else in a grand argument story. However, the degree and apparentness of that connectivity is often not obvious. Sometimes that connectivity is made by the audience, other times it is explicitly shown to the audience. The nice thing about the Dramatica story points is that illustrating them is enough to help the audience make connections. I recommend against assigning casuality to story points except where causality is explicitly indicated, such as the Main Character Unique Abiity, the Story Goal and Consequence, etc.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”