Joy's Dramatica Combined Dictionary

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Joy's Dramatica Combined Dictionary

Postby Chris Huntley » Jun 02, 2008 12:24 pm

INTRODUCTION TO DRAMATICA MERGED DICTIONARY:

There are many ways to study and many ways to understand the topics you are focusing your brain on. So it is with Dramatica. So it is with me. Although the Dram Theory books (both the original and the new, refined and updated 10th edition Theory of Story as well as the old and new Dictionaries) are detailed and specific, it was difficult for me to see the relationships found in the Storymind--most particularly in the Objective Story (a.k.a. Overall Story) realm. I studied and restudied the terminology, but when it came time to choose for a story, it was as if I had never heard of the concepts each choice represented nor how those concepts affected each throughline. I had to do something or my Dram program was going back on the shelf.

A few years back, it occurred to me that it wasn't because the information was missing or really difficult to understand--it's all there and it's excellent. No, it was because of the way I comprehend object relationships. I have to see them together in order to analyze properly (ex: Benchmark in all its terminology forms listed together. Or Issue in its various forms, etc.) Voila! Thus was born this merged form of a Dramatica Dictionary, rough though it may be.

Since it was originally intended for my personal use, I have concentrated more on the OS than the other throughlines. However, it is an ongoing project for me, so eventually, it will be smooth and beautiful with all throughline terminology concepts "listed together" and ready to study again. And again. And Again.

Over the years, I have watched Dramatica Newcomers struggle to learn an awesome program and I remember. Still remember. Consequently, I thought perhaps my style of learning might be of help. With that in mind, I asked for permission to post.

With Chris Huntley's permission, I am posting to group. I have made some modifications which I will briefly mention below. But first, and most important, keep in mind that--

 The Dramatica Theory was developed by Melanie Anne Phillips and Chris Huntley and was not researched nor based upon any other theories of story design or analysis.

 COPYRIGHT NOTICE: Copyright 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Screenplay Systems Incorporated. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS PUBLICATION MAY BE REPRODUCED, TRANSMITTED, TRANSCRIBED, STORED IN A RETRIEVAL SYSTEM, OR TRANSLATED INTO ANY HUMAN OR COMPUTER LANGUAGE, IN ANY FORM OR BY ANY MEANS WHATSOEVER, WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION OF SCREENPLAY SYSTEMS INCORPORATED, 150 East Olive Avenue, Suite 203, Burbank California 91502, United States of America. Phone: (818) 843-6557. Internet Electronic Mail Address: DRAMATICA@SCREENPLAY.COM

 Copyright © 1994-2008 Write Brothers, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Based on theories and materials developed by Melanie Anne Phillips and Chris Huntley
    Dramatica is a registered trademark of Screenplay Systems Incorporated. Patent #5,734,916; #6,105,046

MODIFICATION NOTES:

1. Light colored text is actual text from new 10th Anniversary Dramatica Dictionary.

2. Dark, bold text is actual text taken from original dictionary or copied directly from Query System questions and descriptions.

3. Expanded examples/descriptions were copied from Item #1 or Item #2 and "listed" in terminology destination categories by me (ex. "Changing One's Nature"). I have made every attempt to keep these modifications free from error and "Dramatica Correct." However, should you find misplacements, errors, or ??, please email me personally (joy.higgins@gmail.com) and I will make changes accordingly. If you have any suggestions (or complaints), feel free to let me know--personally or via this Dramatica forum.

4. On occasion, I added additional comments that I felt were relevant to the topic (ex. "Issue" see last bold sentence). However, these were, for the most part, taken from relevant terminology (ex. See "Concern" in which the same "Issue" statement is used as a counterpoint in the original definitions.

5. In some instances, the latest Dramatica dictionary uses updated terminology and references old terminology as an a.k.a. You will see the a.k.a terminology used in "listings" (ex. Becoming a.k.a. Changing One's Nature) as that is what I started with and that is what I'm familiar with. Maybe later.

6. You will see redundancies. Those are deliberate. They come from subtle differences when old theory met new theory and for my purposes, I needed to see those small changes. It's a growth thing.

7. That's it. Let me know what you think and if it is helpful. Oh, before I forget, errors in placement etc. are my sole responsibility and all that good stuff.

Joy A. Higgins
5/29/08

Posted by:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”