The Blind Side Storyform (light spoilers)

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Mwoll
Writer

The Blind Side Storyform (light spoilers)

Postby Mwoll » Nov 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I saw The Blind Side this weekend, and am thinking about the possible storyform. If you (anybody) have seen it, I would love your input.

OS Throughline:
Activity: Everybody is trying to improve the lot of Big Mike or their lot. [Big Tony takes him to school, the teachers are trying to teach him academics, the coach is trying to help his football team.]
Manipulation: Everybody is trying to get other people to see Big Mike (or other things) in a new way, or get Big Mike to see things in a new way. ["Don't treat him like he's stupid" / "Mike, you've got to see the team as your family." / "We have to take being a Christian school seriously, and not treat it with lip service." / "Come play at my college." etc.]

MC Throughline:
Situation: Mrs. Tuohy has found herself with a new son, and she wants to do right by him.

I can't figure out who the Impact Character is -- any thoughts? I have a feeling it's the lunch group (and all the naysayers in general), and that Mrs. Tuohy is Steadfast in that she doesn't let them influence her.

As an aside, I think the Antagonist is the teacher with the funny beard.

I'd love to hear what you all think!

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: The Blind Side Storyform (light spoilers)

Postby Geoff1975 » Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Great choice for a discussion! Check out "The Pursuit of Happyness", by the way, for another gripping story.
At first glance, I like Mrs. Tuohy being in Situation. She seems to make more decisions than anyone else, enough to be the Main Character. I'd want to say Mike is the Impact Character... or the situation of Mike. For the Antagonist, I would think of what Mrs. Tuoy is trying to achieve and see who's actively against it. Maybe the Antagonist is a hand-off. The conclusion character who questions Mike's motives seems like somebody obstructing Mrs. Tuoy and Mike. The gang members might factor in there, too. Mike himself seemed surprisingly like a prop rather than a character, meaning other characters become motivated for him.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”