An absent IC in the Relationship Throughline

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
BrianNewman
Writer

An absent IC in the Relationship Throughline

Postby BrianNewman » Jul 23, 2016 11:44 am

I asked about this earlier, but the question was buried and probably unclear. I figured out how to be more succinct.

All my characters are simple. The IC Character is the Guardian. The MC Character is the Protagonist. My Relationship Throughline has the following traits Problem (Effect), Solution (Cause), Symptom (Accurate), Response (Non-Accurate). The Guardian contains none of these traits. Therefore, the IC contains none of these traits. I understand this to mean that the IC doesn't play a significant role in the Relationship Journeys. Is it valid to have a Relationship Throughline in which either the IC or MC plays no role in the journeys? If so, what does that mean?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: An absent IC in the Relationship Throughline

Postby Chris Huntley » Jul 27, 2016 7:12 am

Each throughline has a complete set of elements. The Relationship throughline is not about the objective characters, which is where the Guardian and Protagonist exist. The objective characters play their roles in the Overall Story throughline. The relationship throughline describes the relationship between the MC and IC, so your iC is there.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

BrianNewman
Writer

Re: An absent IC in the Relationship Throughline

Postby BrianNewman » Jul 27, 2016 9:27 am

thank you, that makes it a lot clearer

Return to “Practical Dramatica”