Am I getting this correct?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
ocelotfilms

Am I getting this correct?

Postby ocelotfilms » Nov 12, 2014 1:22 am

Not that this is the whole thing, but is this generally the idea?

My specific problem is I think, story Encoding.

I'm really sort of lost in how it all pulls together. All I've used in the past was 3 act and 9 act paradigms, more or less traditional story forms, one major reversal that spins it into a new direction and goal. So it's not like I'm completely lost, but I'm foundering on the foggy banks of multi-layered 4 D storytelling.

How do I utilize the 8 characteristics per character for all 8 characters from Purpose, Evaluation, Motivation, Methodology?

Do I have a scene for each? Does that then make 64 scenes by themselves? Or is it used for the 6 scenes each,
I.e. Consider vs Reconsider
Consider vs Logic
Consider vs Feeling
Logic vs. Reconsider
Logic vs. Feeling
Feeling Vs. Reconsider

And in that way, how do those interact with The OS, MC, IS, & SS Scenes or how do I link or present those AS 'Scenes' ?
Does that give me then 6 X 4 scenes (24) for Purpose, Motivation, Methodology, and Evaluation? = 96 Scenes?
How do those 96 tie in with the 4 OS, MC, IC, SS storylines, do those give me more scenes?

I feel like I am on the edge of understanding this, but it's just all of these numbers, and being show in youtube videos, "it's just so easy, with a click", but it doesn't say anything about What all goes into however many number of scenes in whatever pattern of a complete Grand Argument, if I consider all aspects and how those are laid out or presented, or I am just not seeing that. It's very confusing.

This is what I have:

STORY ENGINE SETTINGS:
RESOLVE: Steadfast
IC RESOLVE: Change
GROWTH: Stop
APPROACH: Be-er
PROBLEM-SOLVING STYLE: Intuitive
DRIVER: Decision
LIMIT: Timelock
OUTCOME: Success
JUDGMENT: Good

OVERALL STORY
THROUGHLINE: Fixed Attitude
CONCERN: Memories
ISSUE: Evidence vs. Suspicion
PROBLEM: Ability
SOLUTION: Desire
SYMPTOM: Aware
RESPONSE: Self Aware
CATALYST: Falsehood
INHIBITOR: Circumstances
BENCHMARK: Impulsive Responses

MAIN CHARACTER THROUGHLINE
(the Main Character)
THROUGHLINE: Manipulation
CONCERN: Developing a Plan
ISSUE: Circumstances vs. Situation
PROBLEM: Equity
SOLUTION: Inequity
UNIQUE ABILITY: Sense of Self
CRITICAL FLAW: Suspicion
BENCHMARK: Playing a Role

IMPACT CHARACTER THROUGHLINE
(the Impact Character)
THROUGHLINE: Activity
CONCERN: Understanding
ISSUE: Interpretation vs. Senses
PROBLEM: Ability
SOLUTION: Desire
SYMPTOM: Knowledge
RESPONSE: Thought
UNIQUE ABILITY: Conditioning
CRITICAL FLAW: Interdiction
BENCHMARK: Doing

MAIN VS. IMPACT STORY
THROUGHLINE: Situation
CONCERN: The Past
ISSUE: Prediction vs. Interdiction
PROBLEM: Projection
SOLUTION: Speculation
CATALYST: Destiny
INHIBITOR: Interpretation
BENCHMARK: How Things are Changing

ADDITIONAL STORY POINTS
GOAL: Memories
CONSEQUENCE: The Past
COST: Understanding
DIVIDEND: Developing a Plan
REQUIREMENT: Impulsive Responses
PREREQUISITE: How Things are Changing
PRECONDITION: Doing
FOREWARNINGS: Playing a Role

I'm trying to fit all of that into the following, and I know I'm not getting it correct, because there's no room. 64 or 96 or whatever, but other areas are suggesting 24 scenes.

Can someone gently correct my mistakes or point the direction?

OS 7 scenes act 1
7 is the base but with a fully developed story, how many scenes per act?

Story Goal, Requirements, Consequences, Forewarnings, << How many of these interactions per act? One per character? 6 per 8 characters?

Dividends, Costs, Prerequisites, and Preconditions. << How many of these interactions per act? One per character? 6 per 8 characters?

Evidence vs. Suspicion << Is this 6 per?
How do I lay these out?
Do all 8 characters offer evidence and or suspicion of each other? in each act?
is that then 48 scenes per act?
how does that relate to Purpose, Evaluation, Motivation, Methodology?
How does That relate to the 64 total characteristics of the sum total cast, assuming 8 characters?

MC 7 scenes act 2
Story Goal, Requirements, Consequences, Forewarnings
Dividends, Costs, Prerequisites, and Preconditions.
Circumstances vs. Situation

IC 7 scenes act 3
Interpretation vs. Senses

SS 7 scenes act 4
Prediction vs. Interdiction

Using the above, how Do I tie in the following into the above structure?
(OS) Throughline Memory > Impulsive Responses > Innermost Desires > Contemplation
(MC) Throughline Playing a Role > Changing One’s Nature > Conceiving an Idea > Developing a plan
(IC) Throughline Understanding > Doing > Obtaining > Gathering Information
(SS) Throughline The Present > How Things are Changing > The Future > The Past

Further how do I use my 8 characters (and their 2 different traits, in each of the 4 areas) i.e. 64 total in the above structure?

How do Thematic sequences relate to the above?

Anyone who can help in any way, thank you.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Am I getting this correct?

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 13, 2014 4:56 pm

Unless you're writing a novel, you'll be lucky to explore the objective characters more than at a cursory level.

There is no "right" way to weave your story together. That said, here's my rule of thumb:

The only story points that have a specific order are the four signposts. Each of the other story points should be illustrated at least once within EACH signpost. This means that by the end of MC Signpost 1 (Act 1), all of the MC story points are illustrated at least once (if not more). The same is true for the OS throughline, the IC throughline, and the Relationship throughline. That's a lot of touch points to explore in a story. I suggest that you be as economical with your storytelling as possible. A comment or an observation by a character can be sufficient to expose one or more story points. Emphasize the parts of the story you like; give limited exploration to the story points you're not as interested in.

Which story point to illustrate first? It depends on how you like to write. However, here is another way to look at each of these story points:

DOMAIN: This is the most genre-like and broadest aspect of the MC's throughline
CONCERN: This is more plot-like and may be considered to be identified as the area in which the MC's personal goal exists
ISSUE & COUNTERPOINT: These are the most theme-like as they relate to the MC's throughline
SYMPTOM, RESPONSE, PROBLEM & SOLUTION: In a character-centric throughline, these are the story points most associated with character development.
UNIQUE ABILITY & CRITICAL FLAW: These story points tie the MC throughline to the OS throughline, so they seem both thematic and plot-like in nature.
BENCHMARK: This story point indicates how progress is measured in the MC's development.

So, depending on your preferences, you may focus on the more genre-like, plot-like, thematic, or character-related story points first and then progress from there. Or, mix them up in any order you want, so long as they appear within each act/signpost.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

ocelotfilms

Re: Am I getting this correct?

Postby ocelotfilms » Nov 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Thank you much. I think I am on the road. I started having dreams about how all of these fit together, mechanically.

It is a novel, for NaNoWriMo, but I want to write it in a sort of visual style.

I also about an hour ago watched Melanie's videos on YouTube regarding story encoding and the 28 magic scenes, and the revision video for the 28.

That was very helpful, also.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”