Problem and Solution Elements

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Problem and Solution Elements

Postby Geoff1975 » Jul 08, 2014 9:03 am

Hi,
In plotting sequences for a script, I found an interesting way of doing it. This seems borne out in movie sequences. I'd come up with a beginning, middle, and climax scene for each. Then fill in two journey scenes, one between each of those three. If you're doing an action driven story, the idea of decisions being in those journey scenes makes sense, actually. There was a comment online about having a cliffhanger which leads into the next sequence. Of course.

Here's my question. The story form problem you have could fit into the sequence beginning. Does the solution often come up in the climax of a sequence. I had thought of this, but wondered if it seems premature. Then again, Chris mentioned in one of the podcasts that either a signpost (I'm using this as a sequence) or an Act -- I can't remember -- is a re-expression of the story form points. You're just putting them in a context of the new signpost. Okay, does the solution tend to pop up at the end of a sequence?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Problem and Solution Elements

Postby Chris Huntley » Aug 06, 2014 1:18 pm

I don't think there is a formula for when specific story points are made evident generically-speaking. I suspect that the solution for each throughline tends to show up toward the end of the last act (though exactly when is modified by the Story Judgment, Story Outcome, and MC Resolve dynamics), but I don't think there is a specific place the solutions appear in earlier acts. Each problem/solution/symptom/response quad needs to works itself out in an attempt to find equilibrium.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”