Two SS Throughlines in "The Karate Kid"

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Two SS Throughlines in "The Karate Kid"

Postby Geoff1975 » Jan 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Enjoying my new blu-ray copy of "The Karate Kid", the classic 1984 version.

Having long recognized the relationship between Mr. Miyagi and Daniel, I was actually biased when seeing "Rocky" for the first time last year. It seemed Rocky's coach was another IC.

Anyway, I noticed Daniel's potential girlfriend was demonstrably a Doer, so Daniel's "Be-er"-ness came through. For example, he made a joke about debating with himself about dating her. She pushed him to confront the bully, but he'd run away. So you have Daniel as the Be-er in this relationship through line. When Daniel asks Mr. Miyagi to help teach him karate, Mr. Miyagi seems to become the Be-er. He refuses at first: "no get involved". His entire method of teaching Daniel is markedly holistic. Now, perhaps I catch myself calling him a Be-er because he represents an holistic approach.

Still, this movie definitely presents to SS through lines. There is enough personal heart shown in terms of Mr. Miyagi's friendship with Daniel, that I can't say it's purely OS. Mr. Miyagi gains a son-figure; likewise Daniel gets a father. Daniel is the change character in both through lines. He learns from his karate teacher to understand karate from a whole different perspective. He's also pushed by his girlfriend to become more of a Doer when it comes to confronting adversity.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”