Determine the Relationship option questions

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
prish2
Writer

Determine the Relationship option questions

Postby prish2 » Nov 14, 2013 11:23 pm

I am in the Determine the Relationship window. I have a steadfast MC. I chose the "considering something unacceptable" option. Is this just something unacceptable to the MC? The IC makes an offer to the MC that the MC considers unacceptable, so that works. Or is it necessary for the IC to consider something unacceptable, too, i.e. the refusal of the MC? Or would/could/should the IC, eventually, consider it unacceptable that he is forced to be making the proposal to the MC, say at the end of the story? The IC changes if the MC is steadfast, right? Any help is appreciated.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Determine the Relationship option questions

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 15, 2013 2:43 pm

If your looking at the relationship throughline, then "considering something unacceptable" would describe an aspect of the relationship. You did not indicate what story point you are exploring (e.g. Problem, Solution, Concern, etc.), which would allow a more specific answer since each is its own context to give it meaning. For example, a Relationship throughline Problem of Consider ("considering something unacceptable") would mean one thing, versus it being a RS Problem of Non-Acceptance, or a RS Concern of Contemplation, and so on. Plus, you may have it an attribute of the relationship ("the couple considers their current circumstances unacceptable") or something that is attribute to them ("a neighbor considers their relationship unacceptable").
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

prish2
Writer

Postby prish2 » Nov 15, 2013 4:45 pm

It is in Level One StoryGuide, Storyforming, RS Domain, just below Main Character Domain, just above Influence Character Domain choices. My previous choices led to this as a Domain of Fixed Attitude. When I looked at the Theory information to the right, it says "the heart of the problem". This describes how the MC and IC relate to each other in the story. Considering something unacceptable is a gist choice. In the Usage window to the right, it says "they try to convince each other to change attitudes" as they butt heads. However, When I look in All Topics to the left and click on Relationship, this Considering something unacceptable shows up in RS Domain, not RS Problem. When I click on RS Problem, the only choice is Equity.

Would that mean they start off thinking each other's attitude/response is unacceptable, then the IC changes? Does the IC change if the MC is steadfast, or does he just fade away? Would it make sense for the IC at the end to consider himself kind of equal with the MC, giving him a tip that saves him, before fading out?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 16, 2013 4:57 pm

It's a matter of scale. As a domain, the main conflict in their relationship will be a clash of attitudes in terms of considering something as unacceptable. A RS Problem of Equity means that the heart of the conflict in the relationship grows out of equity (fairness; balance). For example, a married couple come into conflict in their marriage when everything has to be completely even (if one set of inlaws stays for two weeks, the other set of inlaws must stay with them for two weeks (even though neither of them can stand spending time with one set of inlaws) in an effort to be fair.

If the IC is change, the MC is steadfast, and vice versa.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

prish2
Writer

Postby prish2 » Nov 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for the answer. It gives me a solid start.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”