TRANSFORMERS: DOTM AND REQUIREMENTS QUESTION

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

TRANSFORMERS: DOTM AND REQUIREMENTS QUESTION

Postby Geoff1975 » Nov 03, 2013 11:05 am

I watched Transformers: Dark of the Moon again recently. The options were pretty clear. Getting the pillars was the step of Signpost 2 and protecting Sentinel Prime was the step of Signpost 3. However, it turns out Sentinel has actually been acting for the Decepticons. He turns against our Autobot protagonists as Megatron hoped. Then, with all the pillars and Sentinel Prime to help, the antagonists start their plan for transporting Cybertron to Earth in Signpost 4, which I take to be the crisis. It seems happy when the Autobots win in the end, but this seems a failure story if you think of the options as prerequisites or requirements in pursuit of the goal. It's the same conundrum as in "Michael Clayton" or "Ghostbusters".
That brings up my question. Would these have been Prerequisites and transporting Cybertron to Earth have been the actual Requirement at the end of the story to accomplish a goal? The goal would've been the purpose of transporting Cybertron.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: TRANSFORMERS: DOTM AND REQUIREMENTS QUESTION

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Since my guess is that the goal has something to do with STOPPING the invasion, I think it would qualify as a SUCCESS story. I don't see the Decepticons as being protagonists. IMO, this is one of those negative goals where the goal is to prevent something from happening instead of trying to achieve something.

It's a bit different from Michael Clayton in that the subjective characters where on UNorth's team (employment-wise), so the goal was related to what UNorth was attempting to achieve. This is different than the human forces battling the Decepticons.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: TRANSFORMERS: DOTM AND REQUIREMENTS QUESTION

Postby Geoff1975 » Nov 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks. I'll get used to looking at it this way.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”