Steadfast & Change Character Intertwining Question

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Steadfast & Change Character Intertwining Question

Postby Geoff1975 » May 01, 2013 7:03 pm

My list of driver events is coming along. I've been imagining how the pattern in terms of real problem and solution with symptom and response plays out. The steadfast character shares the same symptom and response as the OS; the change character shares the OS problem and solution. Also, I noticed the change's problem seems consistently shared by the change's response. Chris has said the steadfast character gets motivated by the problem and his solution would just de-motivate him. Does this mean the change character keeps giving a response that stirs the steadfast character into his symptom and response?

My example is steadfast male (Desire Problem/Ability Solution/Aware Symptom/Self Aware Response) and change female (Inequity Problem/Equity Solution/Ability Symptom and Desire Response). So it seems she would be arguing about lack of ability, trying to elicit desire, perhaps. This eliciting desire gets him to react, but he sees the problem as awareness of what's going on out there.

What I'm asking is: why this pattern of sharing the "desire"? How does it play out in movies? It's a definite intertwining.

Thanks, Geoff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Steadfast & Change Character Intertwining Question

Postby Chris Huntley » May 04, 2013 12:20 pm

The problems, solutions, symptoms, and responses in the four throughlines are different takes on the inequity at the heart of the story. So they are connected in many ways and twisted by the dynamics and differences in the perspectives. To better understand how they fit together, you must look at all FOUR throughlines, not just the MC and IC. Also, several dynamics control the relationships, such as Outcome and Judgment, MC Growth, and possibly more.

In your example, the simple way to illustrate it would be that Shiela (the change character) responds to perceived problems through Desire (e.g. she desires someone else or is desired by someone else), which motivates Harvey (the steadfast character) to respond (or vice versa -- Sheila responds to Harvey's drive to be desired or desiring someone else).
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”