Throughline domains, concers etc.

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Star15
Writer

Throughline domains, concers etc.

Postby Star15 » Mar 17, 2013 4:08 am

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck with the throughlines and I was just wondering if maybe you had any suggestions for my story in regards to the domains, concerns, issues etc.?

My story is ...

The main character (Alyssia) takes on an offer to train as a dancer while still doing her exams. It is like a trial period in which she takes part in the preparations and activities taken by a backing dancer before going on tour and at the end of the period she is assessed and it is decided whether the company will offer her a placement. The tour that she is taking part in the preparations for is for a boy band and she develops a close relationship with one of the members (the impact character - Harry). Alyssia likes to create good impressions on people and has a fear somewhat of others thinking badly of her. As a result, she tries to do everything at once (her exams and being a backing dancer), she tries to please everyone, she doesn't tell her friends of what she is doing, she rejects Harry to a relationship (because of what fans might think), she tries to keep a low profile with the press and fans etc., and she is fairly shy - meaning her performance skills are weak and she doesn't put herself forward for things. However, she has high aspirations and is confident in herself inside, which is why she took the opportunity in the first place.

On the other hand, Harry doesn't think of himself highly inside but seems confident on the outside. He doesn't let haters affect him and he persuades Alyssia to do what she truly wants (eg having a relationship with him) and not worry about others. He was in a similar situation himself in which he had to choose between exams or a singing career - he chose a singing career.

There is a timelock on the story in which Alyssia has to be ready for her exams and the final assessment for her dancing. At the end Alyssia stops worrying about what people think of her and her actions so much - she does what she wants wants and doesn't hold back as much succeeding in passing her exams and getting a place in the company.

This is loosely what I have so far, sorry if it is a bit confusing.

Thank you for you time and help!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Throughline domains, concers etc.

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 23, 2013 9:49 am

The following are initial impressions from the material you have described. Please see them as one way to structure your story, which may or may not fit with what you (the author) have in mind.

Overall Story Domain: Activity -- A teenage student struggles with going to high school while pursuing a dream job as a backup dancer for a touring boy band.

Main Character Domain: Fixed Attitude -- Alyssia, the student/dancer, has an idealized picture of how she should be and fears others thinking poorly of her. (She is concerned with what people think of her.)

Influence Character Domain: Situation -- Harry's status as a singer in the boy band challenges Alyssia's sense of what is and is not appropriate. In his back story, Harry had to make a choice between singing and schooling and he chose singing.

Relationship Domain: Manipulation (Psychology) -- A romantic relationship slowly develops between Alyssia and Harry, which runs into rough spots as they try to find a way to become a couple.

Unless there is a specific DATE and/or TIME school ends or the tour is to begin (leave town) -- and the time is important enough to bring about the story crises -- I think it really is an optionlock story, not a timelock story. You might want to structure the story around the prepping of the tour, that way concrete options can be laid out (e.g. find a bus, a new manager, finish the scheduling, hire the support staff, such as backup dancers, etc.). Once those have been accomplished, the tour either begins its road trip (Success) or it doesn't (Failure).
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Star15
Writer

Postby Star15 » Mar 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Thank you very much for your help!

Could you also explain a bit about the concerns, issues and problems? And maybe give examples according to me story because I'm a bit stuck with that too!

And with regards to the timelock, I made it that because there is a date of her auditions and a dite of her exams, does this still apply? Or would an optionloack make more sense? I'm a bit confused about the optionlock could you explain a bit more about it?

thank you!!

chloe

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Chloe --

RE: Timelock

I guess the question is, "Is the story goal connected to the school or the boy band?" In fact, what IS the story goal -- what is it that EVERYONE in the story is concerned about (for or against)? That will help you figure out what will bring your story to a climax/crisis. Another question is, "Would changing the deadline change the meaning of the story?" If so, it may be a timelock. If not, it's likely not a timelock.

RE: CONCERNS, ISSUES, PROBLEMS

Concerns are slightly more refined than domains and are somewhat plot-related. Each throughline has only one concern, but each of the four Types are explored (one per Act) as the story progresses.

Issues are even more refined (smaller in scope) and are theme-like, which is why they have a counterpoint, e.g. Hope vs. Dream.

Problems are the most refined level and represent character-like drive or motivation. The other elements in the problem quad are equally important. The symptom is the primary symptom of the problem and what is usually THOUGHT OF as the problem until the problem is uncovered. The Response is the response to the symptom in the effort to "resolve" the conflicts created by the symptom. The Solution is the thing necessary to remove the problem and nullify the problem.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Star15
Writer

Postby Star15 » Mar 25, 2013 12:07 am

Okay, thank you

I think my story goal is concerning her getting the placement. This is what the main characters are involved in. Though I suppose with the overall characters it could be putting on the tour though I think I want to get to this is maybe a sequal rather than this? I was going to end it around the time she passes her exams and got the placement, and if I did a next one focus this on the tour itself more. And there is also the people who aren't particularly involved in her dancing but her exams (eg. Teachers who give her work - though they are more distant characters through email).

My climax was going to be the audition day (and exam day?) which is when it is decided whether she will get the place.

I think the message I was going for is to do with not worrying too much about what others think. What would this suggest to you?

thank you for your help!

Chloe

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 28, 2013 7:45 am

I think that message is broad enough to support most any storyform. The storyform will help you determine what you have to say ABOUT not worrying too much about what others think.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Star15
Writer

Postby Star15 » Mar 28, 2013 10:21 am

Okay, I suppose I'm wanting to say that you can't please everyone and worrying about what people think will hinder you efforts to achieving your goal ... does this make sense/narrow down the message slightly?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 29, 2013 7:40 am

Yes.

Understand, though, that it is only a part of the message. The question is, "Does this message relate to the Main Character, the Overall Story throughline, the Relationship throughline, the Influence Character throughline, or more than one throughline (which ones)?"

My guess is that this is either the MC and/or the OS throughlines. That leaves you room to explore other things in the other throughlines.

Also, are you interested in talking "about" that message (Theme) or making people feel it (Story Judgment Good; MC Resolve Steadfast perhaps),
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Star15
Writer

Postby Star15 » Mar 29, 2013 8:17 am

Chris Huntley wrote:Yes.

Understand, though, that it is only a part of the message. The question is, "Does this message relate to the Main Character, the Overall Story throughline, the Relationship throughline, the Influence Character throughline, or more than one throughline (which ones)?"

My guess is that this is either the MC and/or the OS throughlines. That leaves you room to explore other things in the other throughlines.

Also, are you interested in talking "about" that message (Theme) or making people feel it (Story Judgment Good; MC Resolve Steadfast perhaps),

Yes I agree, I think it relates to the MC throughline and the OS throughline in the main

What do you mean by talking about the message or making people feel it?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am

Talking about it means it is the subject matter. Feeling it means incorporating it into the storyform. It is often both but needn't be.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Star15
Writer

Postby Star15 » Mar 29, 2013 11:05 am

I think really it's both for me

Return to “Practical Dramatica”