Trying to Integrate the Justification Steps Into Throughline

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Trying to Integrate the Justification Steps Into Throughline

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Intellectually, I know in a story where the IC is making an effort to change the MC, not necessarily consciously, the IC would be the IC's efforts as seen externally. The MC would show the change. The RS would show the cause and effect, I guess. I'm trying to integrate the justification process into this. Which part goes in which throughline. We'd see the tearing down effort in the IC throughline, while he's building up his own drive. We'd see the effects of it in the changing MC. Okay. So, what's the RS filled with, other than a merge somehow between the two? Unless the RS is more of an external feeling of the relationship. That's the impression I've always gotten of it.
Now listening to the podcast for Notting Hill and considering the dynamic relationships in the throughlines, I guess the RS wouldn't relate at all to the justifications and impacts. It would be dynamic to the OS so it would just be depicting "girl meets guy" and so forth. I also caught, at least in my story's case, that the IC throughline should be impacted by the MC so that it reflects the IC becoming more and more steadfast in reaction to actions taken by the MC. In other words, it's not just a one-sided impact. I built this naturally into my story, but it's nice to see Dramatica calls for it and to see where it fits.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Integrate the Justification Steps Into Through

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 25, 2012 12:17 pm

You do not need to try to integrate the justification process into your story. It is already built into the act order and elsewhere in the storyform.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks. Your mention of Acts helped clue me in on what decides those signpost orders. One podcast which really washed some of the fog out of my eyes was "Breakfast at Tiffany's" because it mentioned the start of the IC's drive. The inciting incident of his throughline, I guess, begins when he's attracted to her. Haven't seen the movie yet, but look forward to it from the library. Same thing in my story and in "Conspiracy Theory". In "Theory" he's clearly troubled and driven. An aha! moment in that Tiffany's podcast was mentioning he essentially changed at that inciting incident meeting her. The trick for me in my story is figuring out what pummels him as he stays trying to win over the MC. It needs to grow stronger. Vivian in Pretty Woman struck me like this. She had the drive to get out of prostitution when movie began. If not, her roommate spending that rent money... really motivated her. :lol:

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Hope I'm not being too persistent. "Bringing Up Baby" and "Who's That Girl?" are my models, so I'm trying to see the process of David's justifications collapsing like the dinosaur skeleton. I'll see them again with the four levels of justification in mind to see if I can spot them.

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm

You mentioned the justification levels are worked into the signposts already. After watching Notting Hill and Get Smart, I did notice moments when Situation seemed to be in one Act, Commitment was in an Act, etc. If I look at the Manipulation domain at rest and then match the quad locations with those in my IC's domain, would that give which Justification level the IC would bring up at that Act? It wouldn't necessarily always go... Can/Want/Should/Need to Sit/Cond/Self/Being to Cmt/Oblig/Ration/Resp... ?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 31, 2012 6:03 pm

The order is determined by the specific storyform, particularly the plot and character dynamics.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”