Could "You And I Are Alike" Crop Up Halfway Through Story?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Could "You And I Are Alike" Crop Up Halfway Through Story?

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am

Is there a structural place in the "You and I Are Alike" moment? I thought about how the Steadfast character rises up during the justification process, building up limitations. The Change character would, during the story, go in reverse... having justifications be torn down. These are in two separate throughlines, but I do imagine them running in parallel. If they run at the same speed, then logically both would be most similar at the middle of both throughlines. At some throughline, perhaps the RS, the writer would wish to express how they are alike. Would this moment often pop up halfway through a movie? I know in "Pretty Woman", halfway through, Edward and Vivian have this moment. Halfway through "The Wedding Singer", Robbie and Julia sit in a restaurant mentioning each other's failures with love.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Could "You And I Are Alike" Crop Up Halfway Through Stor

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes, the You and I are Alike moment often happens somewhere in Act 3 (of four acts). That's late enough for the audience to recognize the similarities AND differences between the MC and IC. However, it can appear anywhere in the story. It happens in the first act of K-Pak, and at the climax of some other stories as well.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Could "You And I Are Alike" Crop Up Halfway Through Stor

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 21, 2012 9:26 am

Listening to a podcast about "Crazy, Stupid, Love", it occurred to me the placement of the "You and I Are Alike" might be influenced to some degree by the strength of the impact on the change character. I thought back to that model of one rising and one lowering. They might be alike in the middle of the movie if both forces of impact were the same strength. Just speculating, if we could see the strength of these forces, maybe the meet-point would occur naturally later or earlier, depending on how different one character is from the other.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”