So why not use this forum?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

So why not use this forum?

Postby phillybudd » Sep 20, 2012 8:32 pm

It seems the Dramatica users have been bouncing around all over the place over the last year or so, largely thanks to Jim Hull. When I suggested he was reinventing the wheel by trying to create a new forum (which he has done multiple times now), when this forum already existed, my post was responded to as "pointless."

Frankly, I've had enough of Jim and his egotistical posturing, and I think we should just all return to this forum, which is part of the original, and very rich, Dramatica website.

Jeff

JRH147
Published Writer

Re: So why not use this forum?

Postby JRH147 » Sep 21, 2012 9:37 am

Sorry you feel that way Jeff.

I'm very passionate about Dramatica and making the resources concerning it as powerful and as modern as they can be. That's the reason I started the Convore discussion group, the HipChat forum, the DramaticaQuery site and most recently the push for Dramatica on Google+. I'm always looking for new and more engaging ways to interact with the theory and felt those were good approaches. Convore was great, HipChat was a bomb.

The problem with Convore was that it was built on a very sketchy platform and eventually became very difficult to work with. HipChat was too exclusive. DramaticaQuery was interesting, but again failed because the system I used to create it was too open to spam and abuse. I also found it silly to continuously upvote Chris's answers - of course his answers will always be at the top!

I decided not to renew the site after the first year because I felt my money could be spent better somewhere else. I did manage to save most, if not all, of the questions and answers though, and they will end up nicely categorized on the new site.

When you originally brought up this idea of returning to this forum back in March, I believe I said you might find more engagement on Google+. I've had really great discussions with fellow Dramatica users over there and find that if I need a question quickly answered that's the place to go. In fact, the only reason I knew you were bringing this up again was because of your posts on the matter last night.

Again, I'm sorry if I come off as having some "power trip", it's not like I really have control over anyone or anything for that matter. If I did use the word "pointless" in the past, I believe I was referring to this argument you bring up from time to time. I don't see the reason for it. People are free to use whatever they want and engage with other users in whatever manner they feel is best. While I understand I can't make everyone happy, my hope is that the majority will find what I build a more productive and enjoyable environment for learning the theory.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”