Anyone Apply Dramatica to The Pursuit of Happyness?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Anyone Apply Dramatica to The Pursuit of Happyness?

Postby Geoff1975 » Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi,
I'm so enthralled with "The Pursuit of Happyness". There are rich symbolic nuances, a clear and steadfast character, and several story points nicely merged together.
Any thoughts? The instructor played by Dan Castellaneta seemed like a clear Contagonist. Will was playing a steadfast character who's waiting for an external problem to stop. His throughline to get the internship was threatened by the throughline of supporting his son and poverty.
That frequent movie archetype of the Main Character's shadow showed up in the street person talking about the time machine. I saw him as what Will's character could become in worst case scenario. The medical device (what the street person called a time machine) seemed to be two metaphors: what's taking up Will's time and the street person's desire to go back to a happier time.

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Anyone Apply Dramatica to The Pursuit of Happyness?

Postby Geoff1975 » Aug 22, 2012 5:22 pm

I also wonder which perspectives the throughlines ought to be assigned to. The poverty part involves all the characters: his son, the neighbor owing money, the wife, even the street person to some extent. The stockbroker plot is how the story concludes, however. Chris is the poster-image of a steadfast MC. Decisions seem to guide this movie, making me think it's Decision-driven... he decides to become a stockbroker. Options for getting necessary money wither away. Yet, is the poverty part the OS or SS? Who's the Impact Character? I'd like to say the child is a cause for Chris to keep fighting, but Chris is a steadfast Do-er. Somebody else changes?

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Anyone Apply Dramatica to The Pursuit of Happyness?

Postby Geoff1975 » Aug 23, 2012 6:51 am

Looking at this movie last night, I think perhaps there is no character being impacted --- except maybe the heads of the stock brokerage at the conclusion. It seems there are several throughlines assigned to the different classes. "Making Ends Meet" would be the Situation. Learning, Doing and definitely Obtaining would be what the Stock Broker part would be about... Activity. Chris is trying to Manipulate his son away from the ill environment (day care center, etc.) and remind him "Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something." His wife has a Fixed Attitude that he doesn't have any chance of becoming the Stock Broker.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”