Conspiracy Podcast Reaction

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Conspiracy Podcast Reaction

Postby Geoff1975 » Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi,
Listening to the podcast analysis of "Conspiracy Theory" I was amazed to hear the "Who the Main Character is" portion actually become a debate. Jerry clearly seemed the MC for several reasons.
1. I didn't learn very much about Alice other than where she worked and some of her attitudes. There was an incredible amount with Jerry.
2. We got to see inside Jerry's apartment, see nuanced moments, such as how he combination locked his coffee mugs. When she visits, she sees the words on the floor as a sentence he wrote. The book he keeps feeling compelled to buy, Catcher in the Rye, I saw as the only way he felt he could be normal... I love the line "Baden-Powell all the boys and Betty Crocker all the girls". In other words, we see more of his internal struggle and anguish. Not so with Alice. Also, we're introduced to Alice through Jerry's binoculars.
3. The audience demographic who'd go to a movie about conspiracy theories would naturally feel more at home through the eyes of a fellow theorist.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”