Controlling the ...Control?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Territan

Controlling the ...Control?

Postby Territan » Jul 29, 2012 11:04 am

Hello folks.

I'm working on a story concept here that I'm once again trying to wring through the concept-ricer that is Dramatica. I think I've chosen these right, but if you don't mind, I'd like a second opinion.

At the moment I'm focusing on the Objective Story, and it's about everyone wanting things, and going after them so single-mindedly, almost obsessively, that they fail to get what they want because they miss critical details. If the Grand Argument of the OS is anything, it's as a morality play, that one should not neglect The Big Picture when pursuing what one wants, either because it'll turn out not to be what one really want (and what one really wanted is on a trash heap somewhere), or one won't be able to claim it because one missed some little detail on the way.

The story engine settings I came up with for that, with gists that I've chosen so far, look like this:

Code: Select all

OBJECTIVE STORY
(The Objective Story)
DOMAIN:  Physics --- Scratching an Itch
CONCERN:  Obtaining --- Buying Something OR Achieving Something OR Acquiring Something
ISSUE:  Self Interest vs. Morality --- Being Greedy for Something OR Being Self-absorbed vs. (Morality)
PROBLEM:  Control --- Being Overly Focused on a Task or Goal
SOLUTION:  Uncontrolled --- Being Unfocused
FOCUS:  Pursuit
DIRECTION:  Avoidance

Now... am I doing this right?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Controlling the ...Control?

Postby Chris Huntley » Jul 29, 2012 11:51 am

Barring any other context it seems to work for me.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”