statistics and targets

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Teresa
Writer

statistics and targets

Postby Teresa » Feb 08, 2011 7:07 pm

While comparing software I noticed that one has a statistic and target mode. The Draft target shows if you are writing, say a 100,000 word novel, shows how far you are (56,000 words example)

They also have a session target that if you program 250 words a day - it will show if you met your goal and how many you did write.

I like to pace myself that this would come in handy and is a great incentive. Does Dramatica have anything like this? Could something be up-loaded to the existing program?

Teresa

Leonides02
Writer

Re: statistics and targets

Postby Leonides02 » Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Teresa,

Well, Dramatica isn't really a word processor. You don't write the novel within Dramatica. You plan it there.

What software were you looking at?

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Feb 10, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Teresa,

Leonides02 is right, Dramatica helps you design a story structure, it does not include a word processor. I use PageFour, because it provides me a way to organize all my notes and ideas separately from my writing in the way I want (and it saves everything as RTF files, while can be opened by any word processor).

Jeff

UTAtheatreguy
Writer

Postby UTAtheatreguy » Feb 10, 2011 6:23 pm

DramPro4 is storyform/coding/theory software from the looks of it. As such I don't think anyone will mind me listing a few programs that match what the OP is discussing.

NOTE: These are for OSX

- Storyist
- Scrivener (they're making a version for windows)
- Storymill

Those were just three that came straight to my head. They're quite good for novel writing (and have limited screenplay/stageplay template use).

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Feb 11, 2011 8:12 am

Not to ignore an opportunity for a shameless plug, Dramatica Pro's sister product Movie Magic Screenwriter is a specialized word processor that can do novel, stage play, teleplay, radio play, comic book script, and screenplay formats quite well too. :D

There is even an "Export to Movie Magic Screenwriter" command in Dramatica Pro.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Teresa
Writer

Postby Teresa » Feb 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks everyone,

That's too bad you can't write in dramatica because that was what I wanted from the beginning. To construct my outline, which I have, and to be able to type as I pull up info as I go along. For me, it's no use having two programs open, and cutting from one to continue in the next.

Tree

Clint541963
Published Writer

Postby Clint541963 » Feb 20, 2011 8:17 am

Then get your word processing program. :mrgreen: I recommend Movie Magic Screenwriter. You would do yourself a favor to save up for Dramatica afterward. You won't find a better way to outline and lay over your other outlines (hero's journey outline for example) Dramatica is a unique, totally new theory of story, which I am sure you know, but I say this because I would argue it is necessary for the program to be separate from the writing program because of all the different systems and ideas for outlining and story telling. Dramitca outlining is easily imported into MM Screenwriter.
and probably for rights purposes and making money and ease of bookkeeping let them keep it separate. it is a minor inconvenience.

my 2 cents
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

Return to “Practical Dramatica”