Who would like to do a Dramatica embroidery exercise?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Who would like to do a Dramatica embroidery exercise?

Postby phillybudd » Oct 31, 2010 5:21 am

I'd like to get a few people to take part in an embroidery exercise -- but even if only one other person wants to do it, I'm game.

I was looking for a way to put the file somewhere that everyone could have access to it, but since decided it would make more sense to manage this just through email. I'll set up the file, and then be responsible for managing the "schedule" as Chris discusses below. If you're interested, please get in touch with me at cottonjv(a)gmail(dot)com (with the items in parentheses replaced with the correct symbols), and we'll get this started.

Thanks!

Jeff

Here are Chris's instructions about how to do this:

Here is the process I use for a Story Embroidery exercise:

Use Spin-the-model to generate a random storyform.

Distribute the storyform, or Story Engine Settings report to those participating.

Pick an order for the participants.

Either create a set of eight Archetypes with names, sex, age, and occupation, or have the participants each submit one until you have eight players, then assign archetypal functions to them.

Assign the MC to one of the Archetypes.

Assign the IC to one of the Archetypes.

Identify a Genre/tone.

Identify a time period.

Identify a location.

Go round-robin through the list. Each person is to illustrate any ONE of the story points on their turn.

The rules for illustrating are simple:

Only one story point may be illustrated at a time.

If a participant wishes to be skipped, that is perfectly alright.

All illustrations must describe what is REALLY going on in the story, not what appears to be going on. The storyform represents the true nature of a story without the complexities introduced by storyweaving.

All illustrations must conform to the realities established by previous illustrations. In other words, you cannot create illustrations that conflict with illustrations already given. That said, you MAY add a spin to something that remains true to the original but puts it into a different context, provided it is appropriate to illustrating the story point being currently illustrated. For example, one writer may establish a character as the president of a large corporation. Then another writer may make that character ALSO a spy for the competition.

Have fun!

NOTE: I also add a time limit when doing story embroidery online. I recommend 24 hours.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”