DRAMATICA - OS THROUGHLINE OPTIONS

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
bobbyc

DRAMATICA - OS THROUGHLINE OPTIONS

Postby bobbyc » Aug 28, 2010 5:27 am

HELLO --

OF the million questions about Dramatica I anticipate having (apologies in advance), I would like to ask if someone (Thank God for Chris), can please help with this situation:

I am trying to adjust my option for the OS THROUGHLINE, Whereas it seems I should be able to "add" Situation, Activity, Fixed Attitude and Manipulation, "Situation" is the only option available to me.

I am sure this is a result of going forward, and back changing settings. But I cant seem to get it back to give me the full option set, even if I click "clear story forming" which I did out of curiosity and ended up losing some prior input (obviously).

and if you want to tackle another question, in brief, as I am sure the answer may be complex, my story follows many characters and many protag/antagonist and main character/impact character relationships -- think CRASH! .... I dont even know how to approach this with Dramatica ... No side kick, etc..

THANKS SO MUCH .. for your help and consideration.

Regards,
Bob

bobbyc

Re: DRAMATICA - OS THROUGHLINE OPTIONS

Postby bobbyc » Aug 28, 2010 6:31 am

Well,.

I solved some of my own problem, but am still somewhat confused.

It seems, by me selecting that my main character is a "be-er" and solves problems "logically" MC choices, that defaults my OS Throughline choices to Situation and Activity.

But I would really prefer to have Fixed Attitude and Manipulation as my MC's actions are more based in internal dialog and circumstances than external.

UHHHHG! .....

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Sep 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Yes, I've experienced this confusion -- and frustration -- myself. Of course if you want Fixed Attitude and/or Manipulation, you should start with those. Otherwise if the be-er/logical combination is more important, keep those and see where the theory takes you. Remember that just because the MC is a "be-er" doesn't mean he doesn't "do" -- and if he is a "doer", it doesn't mean he doesn't work things out internally. The be-er/doer dynamic is the character's preference for how to work things out. In fact it has occurred to me that a movement from one to the other could be part of the change the MC goes through.

And as I think Chris would say, write what feels right to you. The one problem with any theory of this sort (and I know this as a composer when applying similar ideas to music) is that we want to see it as an instruction manual. The reality is that this is Art, and the theory is not intended to be a how-to manual. It's simply telling you, according to the theory, what works best. If you think some variation on it would work best for your story, then do it.

Jeff

bobbyc

Postby bobbyc » Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Very well put, Jeff. Thanks for the reply.

I have since become a bit more versed in which choices influence others. And yes, the key, if you want a particular outcome, start with it.

I am only inching away, but as one revelation replaces the next, the frustration turns into "Ah-ha" moments.

Thanks again, I am sure I will be back for more.

Cheers,
Bob

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Sep 04, 2010 6:09 am

Yes, I've also had some very powerful "ah ha!" moments using the software. For example, after answering a number of questions, my MC's Problem/Solution pair became Protection/Inaction. So at the climax of the MC throughline, he must realize that the thing he must do is "nothing". This was an amazing realization and fit perfectly with the way in which I wanted the character to grow -- but doing "nothing" as the solution had never occurred to me.

bobbyc

Postby bobbyc » Sep 04, 2010 6:37 am

Jeff... that is classic...

of all the options your brain may have thought of ... the action that I bet 99.9% of writers would never look for is ... no action!..

brings up a great point about simply letting things be or using space or no action or silence. When its all done right, it really is profound.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”