Very late introduction of Impact character

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Very late introduction of Impact character

Postby phillybudd » Jun 22, 2010 11:12 am

Chris,

I am well on my way with my novel, and am very grateful for how much Dramatica has helped me organize and think about my materials!

One issue I'm a little concerned about is that my story is clearly falling into 3 distinct parts (I will likely even label them such), and because of my main character's circumstances (he must leave his current life behind and go somewhere far away), the impact character can't be introduced until the start of part 2. Now, part 1 is not long (currently about 60 manuscript pages, and will be wrapped up in another 10 or so). I'm wondering if this could weaken my story's impact, from the Dramatica point of view.

I think of a story/film like "Now, Voyager," where quite a bit of the story unfolds before the impact character appears (Dr. Jaquith -- Claude Rains in the film -- at least, I'm assuming that's the impact character). Does that story succeed from the Dramatica perspective?

Thanks,

Jeff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Very late introduction of Impact character

Postby Chris Huntley » Jun 23, 2010 3:21 pm

It depends on how your story is structured.

If the first part reveals a lot of backstory, then you are probably fine. Backstory is not considered part of the main story, just clarification of how your Main Character (or other parts of the story) got to where it was before everything kicks in.

If the 60 page constitutes less than a quarter of your finished work, then you may be safe too, because it means your first Act (set of signposts) is likely not fully complete by the end of that section.

If it truly is the complete first act for all four throughlines, then you'll want to introduce the perspective of the Impact Character even if the player does not arrive physically until later. Internal dialogues work fine for that. What is important is that the AUDIENCE is aware of the alternative argument somewhere in the first Act, even if it doesn't come out of the mouth of, or is attributed to, the Impact Character.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Postby phillybudd » Jun 24, 2010 6:37 am

Got it... part one isn't just back story, although there is a good deal of it there, but there is also plot progression. So in that case the alternative argument should be made "present" in some way in part one, and then the Impact Character comes to represent that argument directly in part two.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Jul 02, 2010 10:26 am

Exactly.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

adite99

Postby adite99 » Aug 09, 2010 9:31 pm

Is it possible to have more than one Impact Character? My screenplay is a caper comedy with a love story as the "B Story". So should I then have the "love interest" as Antagonist? But he may not necessarily be the Impact Character. I have more than one character who would be suitable as the Impact Character. Any tips on how I can identify one Impact Character? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Adite

Return to “Practical Dramatica”