how to explore impulsive responses in terms of Enlightenment

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

how to explore impulsive responses in terms of Enlightenment

Postby phillybudd » Mar 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Dramatica has assigned Impulsive Responses to the OS Signpost 1 -- which is perfect (the King has been assassinated and everyone wants violent revenge).

So, the Plot Sequence reports tells me In act one, "innate responses" (Impulsive Responses) is explored in terms of Wisdom, Experience, Skill, and Enlightenment.. Wisdom, experience and skill work just right -- the Council temporarily in charge is wise in the way it handles things; no one has any experience in such matters; my impact character has a unique skill that everyone wants him to use.

I guess where I'm really stumped here is how to address Impulsive Responses with regard to Enlightenment (an understanding that transcends knowledge). Not asking for story ideas here, perhaps just some "Enlightenment" as to the dramatic relationship. :-)

Jeff

Graham
Published Writer

Re: how to explore impulsive responses in terms of Enlighten

Postby Graham » Mar 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I thought I'd post the entry from the Dramatica Dictionary, in case it helps.

Enlightenment: an understanding that transcends knowledge.
SYNONYMS: insight, illumination, intuitive discernment, transcendent comprehension.

DYNAMIC PAIR: Wisdom, understanding how to apply Knowledge.

LONG DEFINITION: Not all meaning comes from experience. The mind has the ability to synthesize abstract truth that has not been or cannot be observed. When a character is able to come to an understanding of the whole that exceeds the sum of the observed parts, she is said to be Enlightened. A truly refined thematic conflict can be explored in the relationship between the practical Wisdom born of great experience and the aesthetic Enlightenment born of great insight.

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: how to explore impulsive responses in terms of Enlighten

Postby phillybudd » Mar 27, 2010 10:15 am

Yes, I've read that. Thanks.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”