New user...help please

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
hrc123

New user...help please

Postby hrc123 » Jun 21, 2009 1:40 am

After writing three suspense novels without much of an outline, I've decided to try to see if outlining on book number four will eliminate some of the headaches. (Yeah, I know...probably should've thought of that while writing book two or three.) I am coming into Dramatica Pro with an outline already started. (I've done short character bios and four single-spaced pages of outline so far.) My main weakness is building and maintaining tension, and while the whole story is plotted, there are quite a few holes. I'm also flexible about changing tracks and making changes. With all that said, my question is: What's the best way in this situation to get started with Dramatica Pro? With a structure template or without? Level one, two or three? Or...? I've read some on it (both in the booklet that came with it and another book), and I've played around with the software. But I figured someone who has used the software before would have a better idea than I would on how best to begin. Any insight would be very, very much appreciated!

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: New user...help please

Postby Chris Huntley » Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

I'll give you my spiel, but you may benefit most from other mystery writers out there.

First time through, use the StoryGuide Level 1. Create a throwaway story; something you make up on the fly or is based on a fairy tale. Spend no more than three (3) minutes on a topic. If it is a fill-in-the-blank question and you haven't filled it, leave it blank. If it is a multiple choice question, pick something. Go up UNTIL you reach the storyweaving section, then stop. The StoryGuide Level 1 is linear, but Dramatica is not. Once you have gone through this process once, feel free to explore the other StoryGuide levels and the other topics lists in the Query System.

Mysteries are mysterious because you withhold plot information from the characters and the audience. Dramatica can help you figure out what is REALLY going on in your story, and you should answer the storyforming questions with that in mind. Once you know what happened and who did what to whom and when, you can beging creating scenes or chapters, weaving the story points together and holding out others until the end.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

kalarkgrearve

New user help please

Postby kalarkgrearve » Jan 22, 2010 2:59 am

go to the First Post of this topic and then :
-Choose the Green Tick Mark in a Circle for the Post Icon.
-Insert the word SOLVED in front of the Post/discussion Subject.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”