MC Problem of "PURSUIT"

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
coolsurf

MC Problem of "PURSUIT"

Postby coolsurf » Apr 21, 2009 4:07 am

HI EVERYBODY
I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION :?: ABOUT A MC PROBLEM OF "PURSUIT": CAN IT ALSO MEAN THAT THE MC HAS A PROBLEM OF " BEING PURSUED" BY SOMETHING INTERNAL, LETS SAY "PURSUED BY GUILT FOR THE DEATH OF HIS FATHER" OR CAN IT ONLY BE AN EXTERNAL PROCESS?

SORRY ABOUT MY ENGLISH. I'M EURO-TRASH! :shock:

BY THE WAY: I RECENTLY HAD THE "AHA-MOMENT" WITH DRAMATICA. :idea: WOW, THAT WAS COOL! 8)

VIELEN DANK!
M.

ogdencl
Writer

Re: MC Problem of "PURSUIT"

Postby ogdencl » Apr 21, 2009 10:12 am

That sounds to me like the MC's real Problem is Avoidance. He may be pursued by his guilt or other internal things, but his real drive is to avoid that guilt. The Solution to his Problem would be to Pursue the guilt. I'm not sure it makes sense the other way around: if Pursuit were his problem, then the Solution would be Avoidance--but he's already avoiding.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Apr 27, 2009 5:24 pm

In short, Yes. An MC can be troubled because it is pursued or it is pursing, or both. In "The Fugitive," Dr. Kimble is both pursing his wife's murderer and being pursued, though his own pursuit is the stronger of the two. He does NOT run away from his pursuers, which is why he is clearly not Avoid/Prevent.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

coolsurf

Postby coolsurf » Apr 29, 2009 2:52 am

Thank you very much!

Return to “Practical Dramatica”