Creating Character Icons

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
dono
Writer

Creating Character Icons

Postby dono » Dec 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey, Chris (or anybody else who can answer the question)--

I am trying to make a comic book using the short story template. I am not sure if this is the best approach for the medium, but thought I would play around with it. I have made great progress using dramatica for prose work, and thought I would give this a go.

All of that is a bit beside the point. My real question is one I once knew the answer to, but have forgotten. How do you import character images of your own into the "casting characters" part of dramatica? Is it possible to do so while also using the templates? I have converted the images into .bmp format, which I seem to remember is required, but all I get when I try to do the "import" thing under the "characters" heading (after choosing "all files" for the file type--nothing shows up in my browse window if I don't) is a message saying my chosen image "is not a valid dramatica character file".

I seem to remember having trouble with this before, but I know it can be done, as I once did it!

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

--Dono

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Creating Character Icons

Postby Chris Huntley » Jan 02, 2010 7:51 pm

The easiest way is to do it is to:

1. Select the character icon of the character you want to add the new picture to.

2. Copy the image and then paste it on the character icon in Dramatica.

OR

2B. Use the Character>Picture... command to import the picture.

I recommend converting the picture to a 32 x 32 pixel image using Photoshop or some other paint program to control the look of the finished icon.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

dono
Writer

Re: Creating Character Icons

Postby dono » Jan 10, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks, Chris! The import pictures option worked great after I converted to bmp and downsized the images.

--Dono

Return to “Practical Dramatica”