Build Characters Window

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
szore
Writer

Build Characters Window

Postby szore » Nov 27, 2008 7:21 am

I have questions about the build characters screen: Once characters are assigned elements on 'the chess board", there is a series of relationships established based on diagonal, vertical and horizontal placements. Then we are able to jot notes describing the characters element assignment in the 'Characteristic Notes' window. The question is, where does all this stuff come up? I do not see any of it represented in the reports, and I do not see any way to incorporate the relationships or the characteristic notes through the story weaving process. I would have thought that in the query system, where you establish relationships between the characters, the diagonal, vertical and horizontal relationships would have played a role. How were these meant to be used? It seems pretty important, but after the build characters screen these things seem forgotten.
So the question is: "how were these things MEANT to be used by the software writers?"

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Build Characters Window

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 23, 2008 10:55 am

There are a couple reports that print out this information.

BUILD CHARACTERS REPORT
Located in the Advanced Reports section of the drop down reports menu in the reports window, this report is the ONLY report (I think) that prints out the characteristic notes added in the Build Characters window.

CHARACTER RELATIONSHIPS REPORT
Located in the Standard Reports section, this report is the only report that prints out the character relationships.

Finding this information is obscure, but there they are.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”